Chiang Rai to Chiang Saen


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand » Chiang Saen
March 20th 2008
Published: March 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wat Chedi LuangWat Chedi LuangWat Chedi Luang

This Wat dates back to the 12 century
Well the day has been great so far. Left Chiang Rai by local bus (32 Bhat each) for Chiang Saen. Just 1 1/2 hours to get here - a very quick beer while we sorted out our accomodation - a little more expensive than we had expected at 600 B ($20), but the room is large with 2 king size beds. Gin, the owner has done nothing but try
to get money out of us since we arrived and has a friend who can get us down to the boarder crossing and arrange our Visa'a for 1960 Bht - I don't think so! She is very disappoionted when she finds out we already have our Visa.

We thought that Chiang Rai was quiet, this place has a main street that we will walk in 15 minutes and that's both sides.

We were going to hire a Tuk Tuk and driver for the afternoon (400 B for 2 hours), but Ian has decided to hire a motor scooter (250 B/day), so he is out learning to ride it at the moment. This could be great or it could be a disaster, we will have to wait and see.

I really am in Orchid heaven here, even though the season is only just starting. Some I know, but I keep seeing varieties that I have never seen before. Guess I will just have to do a lot of homework when I get home. It really has given us both a great deal to think about on what we would like to do to the house when we get back. They do things in a more calm way, their plantings and casual arrangements.

We are thinking about staying another night here and then doing a fast boat down the Meekong - not the speed boat (3 hours) as we have already heard many a story that would have anyone worried, but a 9 hour trip. It is actually a escorted trip, maybe a little more expensive than we had thought, but so far everyone is telling us that a slow boat (2 days) will cost about $30 each.

Ian is back and we are about to head out on the scooter to the Golden Triangle - I don't think that I have ever been able to stand on the bank of a river and look at 3 countries at
Dinner on the MeekongDinner on the MeekongDinner on the Meekong

The food has been just so darn good!
once.

We end the day by coming back into town to have dinner at one of the street stalls, Mekong Fish slowly cooked in Bamboo, Pawpaw salad and soup, not to mention the necessary beers.

We have decided to do the slow boat - 2 days of sitting on our behinds watching the world slowly slip by us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb