Leaving Thailand...Crossing to Laos!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand
February 24th 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Changmai we had another early start...to head to Chaing Kong which is on the Mekong river...the border over to Laos! We got a mini bus up there with some peeps...our lovely Swedish friends, Emelie and Nicole..and Julien "the man"!

Chaing Kong was pretty rural...we got there are were herded into the front garden of a local family. They took money from us for visas (Canadians pay more ....haha) and the man took photos of me in his living room! NICE! The family then served us dinner in their garden...it was all a bit bizaar! From there we were taken to our guesthouse which was another interesting experience!

It took us the most part of our time there to realise that the area on the other side of the river was Laos! Duhhh!

The next morning, the family again fed us in their garden and gave us a dish of cold Pad Thai....presumably for lunch! THANKS!

We then headed down to the speedboats (kayaks with car engines) and headed over to border control on the other side! We had heard stories that the officials deliberatly took a long time over some applications to people missed the slow boat, and had to make the treacherous 7 hour journey on one of the more expensive speedboats...needless to say we were glad when our passports were stamped and we were officially welcomed into Laos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Pad Thai for Breakfast?!Pad Thai for Breakfast?!
Pad Thai for Breakfast?!

Is this a joke?!
The "Speedboat"The "Speedboat"
The "Speedboat"

Basically a wooden kayak with a car engine on the back! NICE!


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb