Trekking Adventures in Chang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 22nd 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After taking the night bus from Bangkok to Changmai...VIP Public Bus...of course... we arrived in Chang Mai at around 6:30am! We were then picked up at 8am to go trekking! Needless to say, we were a bit exhausted! Thankfully, this sort of trekking did not involve lugging our massive backpacks!

First we headed North into the hills, rice fields and jungles! It was sooo beautiful and green! Our first "trekking" activity was elephant riding...which was soo cool! Laura and I's ride was a lady 'Phant called Boontong! She was boootiful! I even got to sit on her big fat neck without the seat.....the balance was a bit hard to master...that's for sure!!

We fed the phants some bananas too! One big fat ladyboy phant stole all of Laura's nanas in a onner...to which our guide shouted OH MY BUDHA! haha!

The next stop was lunch in the middle of no where....rice...omlette and vegetables~ Standard!

After lunch we stopped at a hillside village where they spun silk and made the most beautiful scarves! The children were selling little bracelets made from beans and seeds (these subsequently sprouted when we got in the river) and were just soo cute!
Public Bus to ChangmaiPublic Bus to ChangmaiPublic Bus to Changmai

Hiding from the loud Thai music and the hacking and spitting!
The night before, we had expressed concern at our lack of jabs to deal with rural diseases...and I said, "It's fine...we just need to stay away from rice fields and pigs!" Of course this village had plenty of both!

We then walked through the jungle to the stop where we were "white water rafting" which turned out to be kayaking in inflatable boats since the river was so low! As we neared the end of the river (after hours) I spotted Boontong having a bath in the river...so I got out and helped the man giver her a bath! She was a bit handsy with her trunk I can tell you! Having a phant trunk winding around your bare leg in a muddy river is NOT a pleasant experience! haha!

After this we crossed the river and got on to some bamboo sticks lashed together in what resembled a very long raft! We stood on the raft as the men at either end punted the "rafts" down the river and its rapids! I wore my bikini...this seemed to attract a lot of attention from the Thai peopel holidaying in the region....I think I will appear on many of their home movies and family albums....oh dear!

After rafting we were pooped and headed back to Changmai! What an awesome day!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

One by one...One by one...
One by one...

Laura's 'Phant stole her whole bunch in one go! Not sure I would have said no either...
Us with our PhantUs with our Phant
Us with our Phant

She was called Boontong!


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb