Last days in chiang mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand
January 16th 2009
Published: January 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So it's my last full day in chiang mai before heading south. It's been really nice here, not as busy and smelly as bangkok. I feel like i've seen all the important bits of chiang mai now and am looking forward to being near the beach in the south.

Two day ago i went on a trip to see the longneck tribe. They lived really basically in small wooden huts. They were also living with other tribes, one tribe that blackened their teeth and another that stretched their ears with big earrings.

We also visited a cave in chiang dao, north of chiang mai that was filled with buddha statues. Also went to the butterfly and orchid farm. This was a nice way to kill a bit of time on the way past it but in the butterfly farm we were hard pushed to find a butterfly that was alive.

I spent the day at a thai cookery school yesterday. It was a really good experience. I learned to cook 6 thai dishes including pad thai, penang curry and sticky rice with mangos. On the way to the school we were taken to a market and a lot of the ingredients were explained to us. The market was interesting, lots of things i'd never seen before.

The group doing the cooking were a really nice bunch from all over the world so got plenty of recommendations for things to see and do later on on my travels. At one point we had to create this huge flame in our wok by getting it really hot and throwing in some onions and water. I tried to do it but got a bit scared and ended up lobbing nearly all of my onions on the floor, missing the wok. Was quite funny.

Went out last night to an indie bar in chiang mai with a group of people who are staying at my guesthouse. When we got there we started chatting to these two girls, who turned out to be from enfield and lived about 15 mins away from where i used to live, certainly a small world.

Will update again when i've rrived in the south.

Thinking of you all in the cold and snow 😉

x




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



16th January 2009

Wow
Your intrepid!
16th January 2009

Great Photos!!!
Lovely photos! Are they taken with a new camera? Your comments on your cooking made me laugh out loud!!! I could just picture it. Sounds like you are having a great time and I am very jealous. Yes, thank you it is cold and damp and seems to be always dark. Looking forward to your next update. See ya Love Dawn

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb