Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 11th 2009
Published: January 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

By the way the map is very rough as all the name places aren't in english so it's hard for me to pinpoint where i am exactly.

Just got back from a three day jungle trek and pleased to save i survived it. The night train here was an interesting experience. Balancing over the hole in the ground toilets over here are bad enough but on amoving train it's near enough impossible.

The train journey was ok, made some friends and stayed up late turning it into the party carriage. The view from the window when i woke in the morning were amazing.

My pickup to the guesthouse turned out to be a guy on a moped. He balanced my backpack on it and i pretty much had my eyes shut for the whole of the hairy journey to the guesthouse.

The trekking was for three days and two nights, both spent in lodges made of wood with no electricity. We had a river to bathe in and a campfire for warmth in the evenings. It was really good fun but the trekking was hardgoing. The first day was mostly uphill and the subsequent days involved crossing rickety bamboo bridges across the river.

Our camp was very basic, no electricity, no running water and bamboo cups for our tea in the morning.

On the second day we stopped at a waterfall and ate our lunch, which was wrapped in a bamboo leaf, with out fingers. The whole experience was very rustic.

The evenings were fun. We were stuck with an odd German guy who liked to be at one with nature and wander about naked a lot and talk absolute nonsense. His ramblings provided a lot of entertainment in the evenings along with beer, card games and singing to a guitar. The nights were freezing but the whole trek was well worth it. We got to see some great waterfalls and went rafting and on another elephant ride.

Was so nice to get back yesterday and shower after only washing in the river for the past few days.

We went out to a reggae bar in chiang mai last night to celebrate our survival so having a well deserved quiet day today.

Miss you all.

x







Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



12th January 2009

Amazing!
Hi darling, was sooooo excited to see you'd made another blog and couldn't wait to read what you have been up to now and you certainly didn't dissapoint. You really are have the best adventure arn't you and its only just began.... Love the pictures they really tell your story. Big hugs x
12th January 2009

Amazing!
Amazing!! love the name of your tour guide! lol Also are u sure they were noodles and not maggots or worms? lol. Looks like so much fun!! Miss u lots xx

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb