After the hilltribe trek


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
August 31st 2006
Published: August 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We've just arrived back to Chiang Mai safe and sound after a 3 day trek in the hills - more like jungle!! to visit the several hilltribes. The walking conditions were difficult as there were lots of steep inclines/declines, muddy and slippery tracks as well passing through tons of rice paddy fields. Armed with our bamboo walkin sticks and a backpacks we walked about 30km in total (about 4 hours per day). The weather was varied to say the least with our last day in the rain for the duration of the trek. Due to the heavy rainfall we also had to take an alternative and longer route to get back safely. We ended up going across some pretty rapid rivers!! On the second day we came across an waterfall and we all just jumped under it fully clothed- great fun!

Back to Bangkok soon, where we begin the second part of our tour!

Amy xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Swimming in the RiverSwimming in the River
Swimming in the River

Before we began our hilltribe trek we went for a swimming in a river near the first waterfall we saw. The current was pretty fast so getting that far up took some effort!
By the waterfallBy the waterfall
By the waterfall

The first waterfall we saw, just before the hilltribe trek!
Water BuffalosWater Buffalos
Water Buffalos

In the second village we visited, during a walking tour of the place we saw some water buffalos... We had to get away from them incase they charged at us.
Jess carrying firewoodJess carrying firewood
Jess carrying firewood

Using a traditional method of a basket and material, Jess demonstrated to us how it was done.
Baby ElephantBaby Elephant
Baby Elephant

We went elephant riding after completing our 3 day trek. It was strange being so high and also scary when the elephant went up and down steep hills! Our elephant was a mother and had her lil one with her for the whole of the walk.
More elephantsMore elephants
More elephants

Ali and Vicky on an elephant while it was drinking some of the 200L it requires per day!


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb