Day 3: En Route to Chiang Mai!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 9th 2012
Published: January 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

P1030835P1030835P1030835

our amazing room service breakie in bangkok
We woke this morning to our breakfast being delivered to our rooms....heaven! We sat back in bed and enjoyed blueberry pancakes and coconut, mango and passionfruit waffles.....mmmmm! Then we ordered a taxi for the airport only to be told that the taxi drivers were complaining because the price of petrol had gone up and there would be a delay on taxi. We had allowed ourselves plenty of time, but with the delay we found we only had seconds to spare...last boarding call as we arrived at the gate! A quick flight to Chiang Mai, and we were greeted with an airport considerably smaller than than Bangkok...but very welcoming with lots of pamphlets and people offering to help.

Our hotel is lovely, very quaint with plants and stone elephants everywhere. The shower is unusual, real stones cover the floor. We aren’t sure how it drains, but somehow it does! The pool is freezing...just as well the weather is hot enough to warrant a freezing dip every now and then!

We took a taxi out to see the tigers in the afternoon. We ended up with a driver who was very helpful and waited for us everywhere we went, and dropped us back home, all for the price that we thought we were paying just to get there. She suggested we go to the monkey park first, where we fed the monkeys and watched the monkey show. Rach and i were part of the show at one stage, and at times I think it was more like us who were the monkeys! The show was great, and we came away amazed at how clever the monkeys were, but a little horrified at how some of them were caged and chained up.

Next stop, Tiger Kingdom! We signed up for the medium sized tigers, which i have to say, looked ENORMOUS! We had a great guide who kept telling us not to be afraid, after all they are just tigers! To be fair both Rach and i were in the cage with 3 tigers, and only one of us was scared...not Rachel! Rach lay with the tigers, played with their tails (which are very heavy!) and with a little encouragement, so did I! It was great, scary but great! And the photos show that we actually did it!

The taxi driver told us a great place to go to for dinner. We wrote it down as it sounded, so we would remember...kon sip salad, knowing that it wouldn’t be salad, but something Thai that sounded like salad! We went walking to try and find it, and it was actually called The Salad Concept! Absolutely delicious...yes, it really was salads, make your own salads and all for $4.80! Thank goodness we went looking today because it’s closed for the rest of our stay in Chiangmai!

Our final treat for the day was a massage each. Rach had a Thai massage and I had an oil massage. We were told to sit in a chair, which clearly was built for two small Thai women, not two NZ women! This got us in a fit of giggles, only to be made worse when our feet were cleaned and Rachel’s ticklish feet got the better of her! Then we were given a pair of fluffy slippers each and told to come upstairs. We were given clothes to wear; Rach kept calling out to me from her little cubicle cos she couldn’t work out how to put on the gianormous pants and little top, meanwhile I was trying to work out how to work out how to make the paper knickers fit me! Finally we were ready for our massages. Rach got pulled every-which-way, and her body was put in positions she never thought possible for a human body to move in, and every few minutes a burst of giggles would bubble threw the curtain because the masseuse had touched a ticklish spot! On the other hand, I was enjoying a very firm but thorough oil massage, when suddenly the masseuse was astride me massaging my stomach and breasts!! Thank goodness Rach couldn’t see or we would have been hysterical! Despite all these little things, we both loved the massages and the ladies who treated us to them were so friendly and lovely. It ended with us being given cute little cups of herbal tea before we left. This is our new favourite place, and we plan to come back often!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

P1030938P1030938
P1030938

the slippers we had to wear!
P1030939P1030939
P1030939

tea after massage!
P1030941P1030941
P1030941

the smoothie we had that will help one eye! At Salad Concept.
P1030896P1030896
P1030896

Tiger Kingdom - hanging out with the tigers
P1030839P1030839
P1030839

the Yantarasi hotel - chiang mai
P1030844P1030844
P1030844

the crazy shower
P1030868P1030868
P1030868

Monkey school
P1030847P1030847
P1030847

our pool
P1030858P1030858
P1030858

mum, feeding the monkeys


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb