Chaing Mai and Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 11th 2006
Published: February 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Chaing Mai

A quick look around the Museum of Art then it was time to leave Hong Kong for Bangkok. It was as well we had not booked the flight to Chang Mai as it took us so long to get through immigration, we would have missed it. Fortunately, got onto next flight - only 50 mins and finally arrived in Chang Mai at 8.30pm. Pleasantly surprised by guest house as was extremely cheap. Very much warmer here, although it will be a lot hotter by the time we have travelled down to the south. We thought we would have a leisurely day the first day but as we were poring over the map for the umpteenth time, a teacher from the local school came to help and before we knew it, he had planned our day for us, even telling us how much to pay the tuk tuk driver and how much the bus fare was to see the Wat on the side of the hill. We was a great help but decided to get a taxi to the Wat. It was well worth the 100k round trip, although at one point we wondered if we would get there before dark. He even waited an hour for us to look round - can’t imagine a UK taxi driver doing that.
Thought we had better do the elephant trek the next day and opted for the more exciting package of trekking, elephant ride and bamboo rafting. When I realised we were trekking up at mountain and crossing bamboo bridges, I wished we stuck to the elephant ride and visit to the orchid farm. However, it was great fun despite the pouring rain, hazardous walking on narrow paths, mosquitoes, being bitten by ants and that was just the first part of the trip. We were only a party of 6 and got on really well and picked up some good tips for other places in Thailand. The elephant riding was great fun, particularly as we had the docile one, so could just laugh and take photos of the others when their elephants starting pulling down trees to eat and sat down to scratch its bottom on the rocks. Lastly, the bamboo rafting. It was obvious why they left this until last when they told us to leave cameras, mobiles etc in the minibus and make sure you had nothing loose in your pockets. It was not quite white water rafting, but I’m sure we got a lot wetter, especially as we had 4 adults and guide on our raft, so were starting to sink before we had got very far. Still we all survived and had a very soggy journey back to the hotel. After a river trip the following day it was onwards to Bangkok.

Bangkok

Well this is a busy place, not sure that we like it, there is a huge culture shock between here and Chiang Mai, but only here for 2 nights so we’ll make the most of it.

Visits to the Grand Palace and Wat Pho with its reclining Buddah are an absolute must see but I suggest Wat Pho first followed by the Palace. The sky train is marvellous, London should have at least two, and the metro is very clean, fast and efficient, London should have one of these too. Eating out is an interesting affair but we have yet to beat the raw jellyfish we were given in Hong Kong as “complementary nibbles”. The Patpong district is an interesting night attraction with bars offering such entertainment as girls blowing ping-pong balls across the room - without using their mouths!! They also have some “inventive” methods for blowing up the Christmas balloons.

Sun, sea and diving now beckon so we are off to Phuket this evening (11th Feb.) for a few days before travelling onwards to Malaysa, and Singapore.



Advertisement



11th February 2006

It all sounds wonderful but I don't envy you the raw jellyfish.
11th February 2006

It all sounds wonderful, but I don't envy you the raw jellyfish--you were brave to try it.
13th February 2006

Dave Did like the comment about you recently retired!! that did make me smile, the trip sounds great so far, you are not missing much here, apart from the cold. Take care Helen

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb