Celebrating my birthday in Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 17th 2009
Published: May 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We spent the week of my birthday in Chiang Mai and the actual day at Doi Inthanon, Thailand’s highest mountain/peak. Art our driver picked us up at our Guesthouse early in the morning to make the 1.5 hour trip. Referred to as “The Roof of Thailand,” Doi Inthanon stands at 2565 metres. The temperature is relatively cool with the summit frequently covered in cloud and mist, maintaining the luscious forest and National Park. Mum welcomed the drop in temperature as we made the ascent while I wondered how I would ever be able to settle back into Melbourne’s cold climate. Attractions we visited at the Park included the Angkha Trail (Buddha must be trying to tell me something as everywhere I go there are monks), their Majesties Twin Chedis (these were completed in honour of King Bhumipol and the Queen), a Hmong market (where we met a beautiful little blonde Hmong), Siripoom Waterfall and Vachiratharn Waterfall. I could think of no better way then to spend my birthday with loved ones and nature.

The next day we went to Doi Suthep National Park. Doi Suthep overlooks the city from the northwest, providing views of the town from its summit and is home to some of the most significant symbols in Thailand. The main reason visitors travel to Doi Suthep National Park is to see Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, the most holy Buddhist site in Thailand - a major pilgrimage destination. Bhubing Palace also located in the Park is a vacation home for the Royal Family and when unused by them serves as a guest house for foreign dignitaries. Built in 1961, the Palace's first guests were the King and Queen of Denmark.

We spent the morning walking through the beautiful gardens of Bhubing Palace and really didn’t get much of a chance to explore Doi Suthep because of torrential rain. It actually rained constantly for the next couple of days but it didn’t prevent us from spending the rest of our time in Chiang Mai doing what it is best known for - shopping at the markets. Mum and Dad were able to experience my slice of Thailand and could easily understand how I have adapted to this pleasant lifestyle without much difficulty. But if you think my body is worn out from all this travelling, bends and mountains then your right! I plan on just relaxing over the next month before Matt and I take a rewarding holiday to Burma.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1834s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb