Chaing Mai - Love it!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
April 24th 2009
Published: April 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So... where to begin!!!
I left Bangkok at about 6pm on the worst coach ride of my life!!! 13 hours it took, leather seats.. not good when your a million degrees and dripping like you've just had a shower... nothing is worse than sticking to leather!!
The air con was broke which really annoyed an american guy who shouted about it for about half hour. Then the lights went out which annoyed him even more, never have i seen someone so stressed about such a small thing as to lights!! Seriously was crazy!
Tried to negotiate round the small space i had to get into a fairly comfy position to try and get some sleep but with very little luck, i thought i was lucky to have a double seat, how very wrong i was... VIP bus my bum! I think i must of tried every position in the book but eventually gave up.
Met a guy from australia called Marcus when walking to the bus, he kindly offered to put me up for a few nights in aussie which is great. Also met a guy briefly called chris on the bus in my half passed out stage but he is staying at the same place to i got to no him a bit more last night. Marcus has gone for a trek.. not to sure if i will... very expencive to basically get exhausted.. my time in the national jungle of malaysia was enough of trekking for life thank you very much!!

So yeah.. arrived in Chaing Mai, got driven to a place called 'Nice Place guesthouse" which is quite nice, has a pool outside, nice rooms, not cheap but still within budget! Im paying 400bhat for aircon, en suite and double bed (same price as single room) When i arrived i basically slept for hours.
Went and got some food, met 2 really nice people, Shaun and his girlfriend Corina who are from Manchester.
We hung out by the pool for most of the evening, talking about things to do etc.
The people at the hostel told us about a Thai Boxing match that was happening that night, 400bhat so yeah why not!!
Whilst waiting we met chris again who decided to come along and also a girl from Israel and a guy from the states and 2 peeps from New Zealand who didn't.
Eventually the tuk tuk's arrived to take us to the fight..
Me, chris, Shaun and Corina sat together, very close to the ring. There were 8 fights including a womens fight, a blindfold fight which was hilarious... and an international fight between the netherlands and thailand!! Crazy. The 1st fight was between to kids which i found a bit odd.. they were like 10!!
After the fight and a night of shaun drinking loads and betting more we headed off to a local night club called Spice!! Really retro style with poles and tables for people to dance on. Shaun bought all my drinks which was nice of him as im so so poor 😞 lol.
A few crazy things happened! 1st... lots of thai girls wanted photos with us.. i mean who wouldn't 😉 haha. Then the very camp bar tenders offered us lots of drinks, again not a problem.. i didn't drink a huge amount just for the record.. mainly coke 😊 .... with wisky 😊
I think the most interesting thing was when i was standing over a urinal doing what you do a guy followed me in and started giving me a massage... hmm thats not right!! I asked him kindly to wait till i had finished and also said i wasn't paying him.. He waited, washed my hands for me and then performed the loudest neck clicking move on me ever, was really nice though, my neck felt lovely after that haha.
Drank some more, danced on a pole, danced on a table then about 3.30 we left for the eventful walk home. Shaun chased wild dogs because last time he was here they apparently chased him!! hmmm ok... odd much!! Then the people at the 7-11 local shop told us he was mental... i bought some water though which made them happy.

Got back to the hostel and crashed out in my room which was like -5 degrees from having the air con on all day!! Yay
Today i woke up about 12, Stepan (the french guy i met in Bangkok) is in Chaing Mai at a guesthouse near by, im meeting him at a temple in about half hour.
The internet round here rarly has a microphone for skype usage but better than nothing... urm.. i think that is it for now.

I do love it here compared to the hectic days in Bangkok, its crazy to think how much i've done in such a short period of time so whilst in Chaing Mai im going to slow it down, relax and enjoy myself!! Hey thats what its all about... only thing is for the next 3 days due to my overspend at the start i have 700 bhat a day of which 400 bhat goes on my room... Its what its all about!!

Anyway, until next time,
all the best

Nathan

xxxxxx

Advertisement



24th April 2009

highlight of blog
the highlight is the massage in the loo, lol, u sound like ure havin a fab time, its sooo much fun reading about ure new experiances xxxxxxx
24th April 2009

"1st... lots of thai girls wanted photos with us.. i mean who wouldn't ;) haha." are you sure they were girls?? lol glad you're having a good time! I assume you're taking lots of photos?
24th April 2009

glad your enjoying it
Hi Nathan its great your enjoying it and glad your out of bangkok.its good your making friends and great that you are seeing the world.please take care and we look forward to seeing you in the english summer time back here in blighty which will no doubt feel like winter for you.take care of yourself and will hopefully speak to you soon. dave,ness and matt

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb