Independent Excursions


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 18th 2006
Published: January 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

On the 14th through the 16th, we as students were given the opportunity to spend 3 days on an independent excursion away from Chiang Mai. Several of us went to Samuang and spent the night with the Karen village people in the mountains.
While I enjoyed the trekking, elephant ride, and bamboo rafting that took place during the trip, I most enjoyed playing Takraw with the village people during the day that we spent with them. The game requires one to hit a small, round, and hard ball with their feet, knees, or head over a badminton-like net within the limit of three hits. The game itself was enjoyable, but what I took from it the most was the opportunity it gave us to relate to the village people. Even though we spoke different languages, and came from completely different cultures, we were able to share the experience of playing a game together. I have found that sports are a good way to cross cultural and verbal communication boundaries. Because Takraw doesn't require speech, I was able to play with the villagers without worrying about communication difficulties. For this reason, I enjoyed playing Takraw the most during our independent excursion to Samuang and the Karen people.

by Josh Bayens

Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb