English Camp


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 18th 2006
Published: January 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a full weekend and a long Tuesday of teaching, activities, and/or lectures, we are back into the swing of things. Those of us who got sick over the weekend are resting and recuperating. We are all arriving over the hump of the trip tired and a little worn down, but the promise of the beach next week keeps us going.

The education group has had a wild time facilitating English camps at some area schools: teaching 4th through 7th graders English through oral mimicking, visuals, songs, and games. Yesterday was a challenging experience with unprepared students and school administrators, while at today’s school, the administrators and teachers were much more supportive of our activities. In teaching the students English, we find ourselves returning to many old nursery rhymes and camp songs like “Old McDonald had a farm” and “If you’re happy and you know it”. Tomorrow’s English camp will be exciting with an equally supportive administration but at least twice the number of kids.

I've found that the most rewarding teaching occurs when the students are able to teach me as well, whether it be new Thai words, correct pronunciation, or just about themselves and Thailand. The kids are wonderful and the university students we work with are encouraging examples. Although the culture is much different, I appreciate the eagerness of the people to assist and watch out for each other; they are a very helpful people and very supportive of the community. A lesson I hope Americans can take to heart.

Corby H.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb