Chiang Rai, Laos and the Golden Triangle


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
June 14th 2008
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We finished off our Wednesday night after the elephant trekking by getting into the city and heading to the night bazaar to see what goodies they had to offer. Thought it would be a good idea to walk there, and save us about 50p on a tuk tuk.

Bad idea, we started walking, got lost and then I flagged down the first mode of transport I could see.

It was a rickshaw. A tiny seated thing on the back of a bike being rode by a very skinny Thai man.

I clambered in first, followed by Phil, who was swearing under his breathe. He couldnt fit. So he had to have a bum cheek on the seat next to me and the other half of him was sitting on me and he was all crumpled up and his head was touching the roof.

The rickshaw man, bless him, peddled hard and tried to go fast as to not to stop.

We got to a junction, with a slight hill, he couldnt peddle us up (us being the hefty - compared to Thai - westerners that we are!) so he had to jump off and pull us very slowly up this hill, and then quickly jumped back on and we wizzed down the hill! yey!! I patted him on the back for his efforts.

Everyone (and I mean everyone) was pointing at us and laughing, I was nearly wetting myself. Phil wasnt impressed, until my laughter obviously took over and he found it quite amusing.

We finally got to the Night Bazzar, a little squashed and out of shape, but ok. Paid him 100baht instead of the asking price of 30 as I felt so guilty he had to peddle us hefalumps all the way there!

Cant remember if I have said this before, but Thai people are so friendly and helpful.

If you needed any help, or were in trouble they would do everything they could to help you and get you where you needed to be.

On Thursday we went on the longest tour ever, we were picked up at about 7:30 and didnt get back until around 9pm.

We went to see the Golden Triangle, which is where Laos, Burma and Thailand .

We started out by an hour in a mini bus and stopped off at a hot spring in Chiang Rai, which wasn ok but just full of shops really, not much action on the hot spring.

Then we were driving again for another 2 hours to Chiang Saen to see Wat Chedi Luang.


Back in the car for half an hour to the Golden Triangle. Given its name Golden because of the drug war lord that used to grow Opium and ferry it between the three countries and hence made that area very wealthy, Triangle obviously because its where 3 countries meet.

We had paid 1300baht each for the day out, and when we got to the triangle were told we could pay another 300baht each to go on a long tail boat down the river and over to Laos. It was either this or wander around aimlessly for 45 minutes. We paid and got on the boat, went down the river (10th longest in the road - yes I did listen to the tour guide!) where apparantly alot of indian people are found floating in the water. When they die, they are sent on a boat down the river to 'heaven' and they are found along the Golden Triangle!!



We walked around Laos, basically another market, were told by our tour guide that there was another 20baht tax to pay per person. Phil told him we werent paying it, and that was that. He said hed pay for us. The 'tax office' was 3 men, sat in a shack drinking beer. Thats where the tax money goes!!

Back on the boat and over to Thailand, onto the Burmese border. Phil asked why the Burmese woud not let people into the country to help the people of the cyclone. The simple answer was that they dont want anyone going in the country because they have so many opium factories. I know I wont be giving any money to them now. The country is so corrupt, the government are basically killing their own people, not by guns but by letting them starve. There have been 2 million refugees coming over to Thailand from Burma to live and work, either that or die in Burma. Very sad.

Then another hour or so in the mini bus, and on to the Karen Hill Tribe.

They were right up in the mountain and the rainforest/jungle. These women have metal rings put around theyre necks from when they are about 5 years old. It used to be to protect them from the tigers (so they couldnt bite the peoples necks) now it is just basically a tourist attration.

Hard to say whether they would still be wearing them if people like us didnt go and visit them.

Took a few photos, bought a couple of the handy crafts, the whole place was just like another market which was a shame.

Then back on the mini bus for a 3 hour journey back to Chiang Mai!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Visiting the Hill TribeVisiting the Hill Tribe
Visiting the Hill Tribe

Buying another bracelet


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb