Trekking adventure--Elephant and Me!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 17th 2007
Published: November 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sat. 17th. - Just got back from my 2 day 1 night trekking tour into the jungles of Chiang Mai..... Oh what fun...😊

Left at 9am ish for 1 hour trip n the back of a pickup with 2 Irish gals, 22 and 24, Aideen and Victoria, 1 Aussie gal,38yrs, Amber, 3 Austria boys, 30's, Christen, Manuel, and Gayard?...and 2 UK boys, Matt and Chris, 22 and 23....Up to the mountains... dirt roads.. village people...
We stop to do our 'river rafting ride... umm.... you would like the typical rafting boats.... ya. not so much...we stand on a 'raft' which is made of about 10 -- 15-20 feet long branches of bamboo strapped with a rope.... Four to a raft plus guide.. They have these big bamboo sticks used to push off and direct the raft.. Ph- and slap down in the water to spray us all... HA!.. annoying at first but then figured -- what the hell... So we all get into it.. a HUGE water fight!.. all soaked!..😊.. Fun!..

Then to our lunch area.. Little huts in the middle of nowhere.. Little Thai women serve up yummie curry, veggies and rice.. yum!..😊... Then we set out for out trek... up a huge mountain.. I think we went up to about 800 meters.... 3.5 hours.... Stopped at a small waterfall.... swam a bit.. only to be 'notified' as we got out that it is full of little LEACHES!!!! UGH!!....so gross... they are real tiny so it wasnt that bad.. but still... yuk!.😊 The hike was cool... (Girls-- Nth and Sth Fortuna is Nothin'..😊...

Finally arriving to our 'village'... we are literally out in the forest with these natives.. They are very friendly peeps.. We play this game that is like volleyball but with your feet using a small ball made of bamboo.. Yes they were impressed my my skills!! hahaha!! jk.😊.. The little kids are running around playing with the little puppies and piggies and chickens!. Oh --and water buffalo! ha!..

Dinner- rice, curry and veggies... Yum!.. Then campfire songs and whiskey.. Good times!.. It is really cool to converse with all the different cultures and languages.. Everybody has such amazing stories and experiences to share... and the accents are Awesome!!...😊... One of the Austria guys is a photographer and he took the greatest pics.!.. Ill share once I get them...

Bedtime-- uummm.. . we ALL sleep under the same small hut... no doors.. made of bamboo and leaves... hard as a rock!.. Talk about in the ghetto!... ha!... It was quite the experience... Thank G for the booze and sleep meds.!.😊..

Up at 6am.. to a campfire.. hot tea and small breakfast.. Then off to the elephants.!.. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS!... The guide justified before hand how they use the metal rod to direct the animals... It has been said that Thai people are very cruel to the elephants and treat them poorly.... Well- from being around my Mom's horses and understanding that they are massive animals that can kill you in a heart beat-- Much command and authority is needed in order to train them/ ride them/ enjoy them... So its just as like using a whip or spurs... they use the metal rod... kinda sad still.. but I figure you have to use something!....😊
So After this experience I can say that I dont really think ( at least the ones we rode) were NOT treated poorly or harmed in any cruel way.. They are treated well, fed, bathed, and Im sure are happy to be alive... I really did enjoy my time with them.. I was able to ride one all by myself... The guide was using voice commands... He lead us into the river for a bath...., uumm... Yea.. He walks into the river... blows some water on his back.. and me of course... then the guide makes him go UNDER THE WATER!!! with my on his back!.. HILARIOUS!!! it was tons of fun.. I got it on video and some pics..

I havent figured out yet how to upload all my pics... They are pretty cool.. Hopefuly soon!...



LOVE xox

Advertisement



17th November 2007

WOW
Looks like you made travel friends on the 2 day and Im glad you enjoyed the elephants. I need to see pics of this hike !!!!Be careful in the markets please! Have you been to yoga or meditation yet? that is going to be a wonderful journey! Stay safe and keep up with the wonderful blog, your writing style is an excellent read! I love you, take care, Teresa
18th November 2007

2 Kool
Are the Mangdas (rice bugs) in season yet? ENJOY! xxoos
18th November 2007

Sounds like quite the adventure!! Glad you were with some cool peeps to experience such a diverse and interesting guided tour. Thanks for keeping us all updated with your blogs. You are in my thoughts and I hope you really enjoy yourself! xo, Charlie

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb