Happy Loy Krathong


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-East Thailand
November 28th 2012
Published: November 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Loy Krathong is a traditional Thai festival held on a full moon in November where people give thanks to the water by floating ‘Krathong’ (objects with flowers and candles which float on the water) into the rivers.

It was a beautiful festival; in Mukdahan we have the Mekong river which borders Thailand with Laos and thousands of people headed down to the river side to celebrate Loy Krathong. Heading there on the back of a motorbike we could see hundreds of lanterns lighting up the sky and lots of fireworks, it was amazing and as we got closer it was even better.

Thousands of people lined the river setting off lanterns into the sky, everyone who had made (or in our case brought) Krathongs lit them and headed down to little boats from which we floated them into the river, it was such a sight to see hundreds of little lights floating along the water. There was a massive firework display which helped light up the sky which was already illuminated by a full moon, lots of stars and hundreds of bright lanterns drifting upwards.

We let off our Krathongs, watched the fireworks and set off our very own lantern into the sky; it was a really nice night.. My first Thai festival and I loved it!!

 



What is Loy Krathong?



Loy Krathong takes place on the evening of the full moon of the 12th month in the traditional Thai lunar calendar. In the western calendar this usually falls in November.

Loy means 'to float', while Krathong refers to a usually lotus-shaped container which floats on the water.

The villagers in northern and north-eastern parts of Thailand also often send lanterns rising into the sky, made of coloured paper, to float across the heavens at night. The light from lanterns, with moonshine and stars glittering, can be seen for miles, and is very beautiful.



Reasons why Loy Krathong is celebrated..



To ask for forgiveness from Pra Mae Khongkha (Goddess of the River Mae Khong) because we use and drink her water. Moreover, we often throw rubbish and other waste in the water.

To worship the footprint of Buddha on the shore of Nammathanati River, in India.

To get rid of misfortune, and sin - Bhraman ceremony.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb