Lost in Thailand


Advertisement
Asia » Thailand » North-East Thailand » Nakhon Ratchasima
November 9th 2011
Published: November 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I've been lost, lost in Thailand. Not literally of course, that would be near impossible in a country like this. No it is more that I have been at a loss here. In fact I have been dreading coming to Thailand for a long time, because Thailand for me is a hard country to visit. Strange though this might sound, because it probably is the easiest country to visit from a backpackers point of view. Henc... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Phimai  Phimai
Phimai

Faded reliefs
Phimai  Phimai
Phimai

Offerings in the corner of the complex
Phimai  Phimai
Phimai

Sepia photo so it looks old
Phimai  Phimai
Phimai

Lions and Naga serpents
Phanom Rung  Phanom Rung
Phanom Rung

Ruins of Phanom Rung
Phanom Rung  Phanom Rung
Phanom Rung

Naga serpents
Phanom Rung  Phanom Rung
Phanom Rung

Inside the complex
Phanom Rung  Phanom Rung
Phanom Rung

Statue of a god, with a pigeon on its head
Phanom Rung  Phanom Rung
Phanom Rung

The gopuram
Phanom Rung  Phanom Rung
Phanom Rung

Reflection
Phanom Rung  Phanom Rung
Phanom Rung

And another final look at the temple
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Driving through the water
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Flooded street on the outskirts of Bangkok
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

A boat is a better idea
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Who fits the slipper?



9th November 2011

I agree
Yes, I agree with you in all the concepts. Nice pics. Love from Argentina. Graciela.
9th November 2011

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
It is NOT what "others" have seen, experience and opinion about the place that matter. It's your "own" experience and perception about the place that really matters. We all see and perceive things differently. Don't let others opinion influence yours. Have a happy trails !
10th November 2011

Loss of authenticity
I grew up in Thailand, and spent my years through high school there, leaving for college in 1968. I returned with my wife to work from 1973 to 1975. I vacationed there in 1979 and 1983. Thailand was still authentic. In 2007 visited it for the first time since 1983 with my kids. My wife refused to join us as she didn't want her fond memories of the country spoiled by new memories. She was right. Thailand had totally changed. The worst part was the invention of many new festivals and glitzed up old dances and ceremonies that were supposed to show tourists the Thai culture. Thai culture is now canned for tourists. I vacationed with my son in 2009, but didn't go to anywhere I had been before so as not to be disappointed. Like you, we went to Railey and Phi Phi, not to see authentic culture but to see natural beauty. I didn't mind too much that others were also appreciating that beauty. At least it wasn't fake.
15th November 2011

Home and Away
re: "the invention of many new festivals and glitzed up old dances and ceremonies that were supposed to show tourists the Thai culture". All traditions are invented. See for example 'The invention of tradition' by Eric J. Hobsbawm, Terence O. Ranger.
21st December 2011

love your blog
Hi Ralf (or should I say ....your dudeness :) ) - I am on my lunch break and as usual I read travel blogs....coz I love travel and don't get to do enough of it so have to read what other peole are up to. I have just read from your latest back to this one and I love your style of writing, and also that your posts are not the usual "top 10 list of...." You have a quirky viewpoint and that is a refreshing change. re this blog...I think you have done Thailand justice and given a different viewpoint, altho I was sad to read that it has become so touristy, but I guess that's inevitable. As for never finding fresh stuff to blog about...I doubt that. You have a keen eye and a different perspective so will most likely never run out of ideas. Your photos are great and we can never get enough photos. Somehow they will always be different in one aspect or another. I live in and blog about London, and although this city sees millions of visitors I still discover places that Londoners born & bred have never seen. Impossible to imagine, but it is true! Keep writing, and wo, I am totally envious that you have been to so many countries. I am going to subscribe to your blog so I can read more of your interesting posts. Have a fabulous christmas. regards Cindy @notjustagranny & @3days_in_london in case you wish to connect.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb