Korat-Nickon Rachisima


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-East Thailand » Nakhon Ratchasima
October 14th 2008
Published: January 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Headed up to Korat by bus; it's about 2 hours northeast of Bangkok ( bkk) and so about a five hour ride from Rayong. We were visiting friends not in Korat but about 15 klicks out in the middle of nowhere. (Actually, I've come to realize the "nowhere" term is distinctly elitist and condescending. The rural areas are self-sufficient and imbued with a very strong welcoming aura of neighborliness). Greetings and smiles welcomed us everywhere in this environment. I've come to appreciate "village" life more then I thought possible.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Rice FieldsRice Fields
Rice Fields

This fellow was out there spreading something on the rice fields. With his red sweater in the green field I needed to take this pic.
Village HomeVillage Home
Village Home

To Western eyes these homes may lack glitter and wow appeal but they are beautiful in a distinctly utilitarian way. I found them airy, breezy and functional.
Cooling OffCooling Off
Cooling Off

Our hosts built a beautiful house and pool in the middle of this small village. While slightly "overkill" in this case perhaps, the Westerner often brings economic help to outlying areas. In the case of our hosts, they built a much needed water pump for the entire village. (Which of course helped with the pool).
Trucking AlongTrucking Along
Trucking Along

These women were either heading out or back from working in the fields. Notice the abundance of clothing worn, this in often stifling heat. White skin is highly prized by many Thai women who will often go to great lengths to preserve a lighter hue. This extends to often wearing "whitening" creams, etc. Thai TV commercials and soap operas show characters whiter then any Westerner. While not true of all Thai women, many seek to follow this trend regardless of expense or personal discomfort.
To MarketTo Market
To Market

It can't get any worse, can it?
May Ya MoMay Ya Mo
May Ya Mo

May Ya Mo was a nurse treating Thai troops in their long ago battles with the Burmese. Basically, she got fed up and plied the Burmese with drink, etc. When they were fully loaded she and her fellow Florence Nightingales slaughtered the Burmese. This statue, in her honor, is in Korat.


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb