My first few days in boystown


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-East Thailand » Khon Kaen
November 21st 2007
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Namphong boystown - Rosie’s story

I have been here in the boystown for a week now and have become part of the landscape. The boystown is a children’s home that provides escape from grinding poverty and child labour for boys from the age of 11 until they leave school and get a job at 18 (some are funded to go to college) .

So my first impressions of Namphong Boystown.

I arrived mid afternoon when the boys were still at school so my first impressions were of the site and not the boys. We arrived through the local village of Thai wooden houses, past the paddy fields, where the rice was just ripening, turned off the paved road (where the cows meander unconcerned by cars weaving amongst them), up the gravel drive, through the gates into the centre of the site that is boystown. My first impression was that of a camp. Probably the buildings stirred up for me distant memories of living on army camps as the daughter of a serving soldier in the PT Corp or perhaps too many viewings of the Great Escape and Bridge over the River Kwai - anyway a camp is what
DormitoryDormitoryDormitory

Each boy has a bunk, blanket, pillow, mosquito net and a small cupboard for school books and personal possessions - a small locker wil suffice for everything they will ever own at boystown.
I saw.

To my left were the boys’ dormitories, simple single story breeze block building.To the right a tall open concrete building which serves as the meeting hall, garage, play room well virtually anything when the boys need to be assembled together. Like for the party they had to celebrate my being here last Sunday. They played traditional Thai music and to honour - nay humiliate me I was obliged to attempt some Thai dancing - picture Dawn French in tutu amidst The Royal Ballet and it couldn’t be worse. I think they were wreaking their revenge because the day before we (me and the staff) had taught the boys ‘Old McDonald’s Farm’ which they sung in a round as 5 groups with great gusto at the party. But back to first impressions….

The buildings are simple and functional with no adornments, they are set amongst 7 acres of land in which every square inch has a purpose for supporting life here in boystown - vegetable gardens, fruit trees, fish ponds (for eating not for pets), reservoirs and some land set aside for guess what? Yup Football - a passion with so many of the boys here.

As I got out of the car I was greeted by a desultory ‘push off stranger‘ from one of the 4 guard dogs and a tangle of puppies that watch over the site. They were the only sign of life apart from the ubiquitous chickens a flock of which well scared when as a noisy, feathery storm they flew out of a mango tree where had I disturbed their midday rest (only mad dogs and English women go out in the mid-day sun eh?). The chickens we kept at Blenheim Lane could hardly lumber up 6 inches onto their perch let alone fly into a tree so I was taken by surprise by this athletic bunch. Hopefully they are resistant to the Asian flu which killed off the previous flock of chickens kept in boystown.

After being introduced to the staff Nipol, Adisuk and Chek (?), I was taken to the guest house which was to be my home for the next ten days. At this point in my story I would like to have extracted from you maximum sympathy and admiration by telling you how I have endured sleepless nights on a rush mat in a bamboo shelter
The StaffThe StaffThe Staff

Staff mending a water leak. The jobs list to keep the home functioning for 60 boys is awesome.
with only the company of a thousand flesh eating insect excited by the waft of plump, pinky-white fat cells for company!!! But not so, a delightful well appointed lakeside (lake is also fish pond and reservoir) bungalow has been my home for the past week.

By the time I’d settle into the guest house the boys had returned from school and within 10 minutes were changed out of their smart school clothes and working (as an aside - compulsory school uniform, books, contributions to funds etc is what make schooling prohibitively expensive for so many families in Thailand). The boys have a strict routine in the week - they are up at 5:30 (so I am told as I have yet to witness this!!!) they attend to personal tasks such as shoe cleaning, ironing, making breakfast, washing up etc - no mums to clear up for them here.

They leave for school at 7:30, returning between 4:00 and 4:30 depending on which school they attend. After changing out of their school clothes it’s straight out to work in the gardens, kitchens, wash rooms and so onto until 6 when they have dinner. Free time is from 6:30 to
The guest house The guest house The guest house

I really didn't want you to see the luxury in which i'm living but on the other hand I want to persuade you to visit this most amazing place and meet these incredible people.
7:00 and then at 7:00 they have supervised studious activities such as maths lessons, English language classes etc and before going to bed at 9:00 pm.

This strict routine has not result in a bunch of quiet, repressed, cowed children - far from it. They are purposeful, disciplined and confident - they smile spontaneously on eye contact. There is no bullying, no display of triumph in success (triumphs they have many of in both sport and academic studies), no loud voices or shouting. They are supportive of each other and even though sport is a major recreational activity it is played with fairness and joy in each other’s success. It so happens that I left England in mid-November at a time when inner city teenagers were killing each other just for being in the wrong street, wrong gang or worse still no gang so of I guess it’s understandable that I am going to wax lyrical about these kids here.


Again at this stage in my story I ought to try and tug at your heart strings with pictures of ragged children eating only rice and grubs for supper so that you would feel compelled to go
View from Guest HouseView from Guest HouseView from Guest House

This is also a fish pond and reservoir.
straight to the Joe Homan Web site (www.joehoman.org) and make a donation or take on a sponsorship but that would be doing a huge injustice to those supporters of The Namphong boystown who put so much effort into giving these children a chance in life.

The boystown was started in 1989 with a cash donation from Terry Duffy who had heard of Joes Homans’ efforts in India and wanted to do something similar for one of the poorest areas of Thailand. The Trustees for the boystown are businessmen from the Rotary Club in Khon Kaen so they oversee it functioning. The money for the day to day expenses for feeding, educating and looking after the boys comes via The Joe Homan Charity through sponsors in England and Australia. But more of all this later.

I would love to tell you about each and everyone one of these delightful kids but my RSI is kicking in so I’m going to upload some photos and put together in my next blog the story of just one or two boys. Forgive any grammatical errors etc but teh RSI prevents me continually refining this text.
Bye for now
Rosie



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Feed timeFeed time
Feed time

Feeding teh chickens. This is Anuchai again (the great Man U fan). Anuchai family originates from Burma. A Buddhist monk came upon Anuchai's family and was so saddened by thier miserable conditions that he agreed to bring Anuchai and 3 other boys back to his monastery near Namphong. After looking after them in the monastery for some years the monk approached boystown to ask if they would take them in. The boys are now thriving and Anuchai is a delightful character who has stolen my heart (and photos)
After school jobsAfter school jobs
After school jobs

Clearing weeds from fish pond- their fish ponds are one of their most precious assets
Supper TiemSupper Tiem
Supper Tiem

Boys queuing for an after supper treat which is......
Condensed MilkCondensed Milk
Condensed Milk

Condensed Milk on stale bread - 'sell by date ' well gone by.
The Main ManThe Main Man
The Main Man

er Dr Anukul insists I get my share of the treat. Anukul is the director of the project. As a volunteer he has manged the project since its inception in 1989 - he is the most remarkable of men. I cannot speak too highly of this man and will tell more of him later.
ScavengingScavenging
Scavenging

Anukum in the kitchens of the bakery at the local wholesle food store collecting the 'out of date' bread / cakes etc for the boystown. He manages by his wit and guile to feed the boys on less than 50p a day each (without treats liek condensed milk)
Playing Battleships with TeparitPlaying Battleships with Teparit
Playing Battleships with Teparit

Saturday afternoon for 4 hours the boys can relax. I was sitting writing and Teparit (who as it happens is sponsored by Colin) came to talk to me. Turns out he is exceptional bright (1st in his school year last year) and soon we were sort of talking and playing a variety of gamesas i desparatly tried to beat him at something. Midge that's your boy, Saharat leaning over looking intently as how to play. He's real character - laughs a lot.
Connect 4Connect 4
Connect 4

On advice from Gareth's wife Ararat, who is Thai, I took Connect 4 with me - huge success. But look at the boy in teh yellow shirt gently holding something in his hand as he looks on
Manchester unitedManchester united
Manchester united

This is Anuchai ( he is sponsord by Nic, friend of Richards). He was enchanted by photos of the family I had taken to show.
The PlayersThe Players
The Players

If you look closely at the photo so lovingly handled by Anuchai you will see it's off Richard at some Vodafone jolly. It is that R is standing with Man U players that delights Anuchai. English premier teams rule here, he knew the name of every player of Man U past and present..
CharcoalCharcoal
Charcoal

Waste wood piled ready for making into charcoal
Making the charcoalMaking the charcoal
Making the charcoal

Another young man I fell for - he is learning his trade - to be welder. he works tirelessly on the farm doing many of the heavy jobs , here he is making charcoal, - his physique is amazing (without resort to a gym) and then at the concert he extracted with great delicacy teh most beautiful music from a traditional Thai flute.
No Zanussi magic hereNo Zanussi magic here
No Zanussi magic here

Teh cheeky chappie in pink is being sponsoredby teh money raised in Freeland at the 'sell by date' party. Will tel you more of two of the other boys in next blog.
No Nike labels hereNo Nike labels here
No Nike labels here

School clothes and shoes are immaculate but otherwsie nothing that still has a use is thrown away here.-


21st November 2007

The boys
Rosie, this is fascinating. What are these boys likely to do when they leave school at 18 (that seems quite old)? Are the practical things they're learning in helping around their 'campus' likely to be more useful than the formal schooling, or are they really going on to colleges with a view to being teachers or other professionals? Keep writing and snapping. I'm following you avidly! and take care. Felicity
23rd November 2007

The boys future
Hi Felicity , great to have your feedback - wish I had your photographic skills. 10% of boys go to Khon Kaen university others go to vocational training to be welders, electricians etc. Boys are taken in on teh basis they will be able to get a well paid job on leaving and will be able (and happy) to send money back to their extended family (many only have granparents). They hope that each boy from boystown will lift at least 8 people out of poverty! More of this in next blog.
25th November 2007

Fab. Pics!
Dear Rosie, So enjoyed this first blog and it took me back to the lovely Thai countryside! Tge boys certainly look healthy and happy and clean. It is just as well I was unable to master transfering my pics to a blog, they would break your heart! Looking forward to more info. Love Penny
26th November 2007

Hero of the story
Here we have a hero Dr Anukul who is like the father to all these boys. After leaving me at the airport he was going into town to the charity shop to buy jumpers for those boys he'd seen that morning out in the cold earlier that morning with just a T shirts on. He'll buy up 20 or so jumpers for 1 gbp. -Although he is so well known many of the shops just give him stuff.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb