Thai Adventures, Part Four...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Phu Toei NP
November 8th 2008
Published: November 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A Walk In The Park..


Day one began with a four hour journey to the Phu Toei National Park. We set up our tents, had diner and settled in for the night. Day two we packed up our tents and were driven an hour further into the park. We began our journey with a walk through the forest to a waterfall. Here we had a refreshing swim and our wash for the day which was blissful. We then ate our bag of rice for lunch and walked on. The rest of the afternoons trekking was lovely, walking through woodland and over streams and logs, stopping to pick mushrooms on the way. The last half hour was a little tough as it was up hill but worth the climb to get to base camp. This idyllic setting was home for the next two nights. We were set on top of a hill, surrounded by nothing but mountains, trees, cornfields, the odd house dotted into the landscape and buffalo for neighbors. The evening was rounded off trying local rum and thai songs being sang by the ranger and R, our coordinator on this trip, sitting round a camp fire.
The night was less peaceful as we had a very stormy night. Soon to be discovered was the fact that our tents were only shower proof, not rain proof. Seeing as we were in thunder and lightening we were in for a soggy night....
The following morning I managed to unfurl myself from the ball I slept in, so as to keep out of the puddles forming at either end of the tent. The warm eggy rice dish was a very welcoming sight for breakfast. Then I sat on the hill top watching the mist rise majestically off the mountains to reveal a blue sunny day. I have to say I found such peace on that mountain top, I could of stayed there for much longer.
This day we walked to visit three different caves which was really good and in the afternoon another waterfall, which was a great chance for a much needed wash, best power shower I've had. Sadly this was all the trekking we were to do. I was lead to believe that this trek was demanding and challenging but I didn't find this to be the case which was a shame but not to worry nothing really turns out as you expect it, best just to go with the flow eh...
Day four we took our tents down and were brought down off the mountain to stay beside a reservoir. This was another lovely setting but unfortunately the peace and quiet was spoilt by a local who wanted to share his music with us. Never mind there was all afternoon and evening to get some peace and quiet....
.....Sadly it turned from music to karaoke which went on into the evening. Call me an old fart but with such a beautiful setting it seemed wrong for "Zombie" to be belted out by the waters edge, time and a place and all that? It was a pity but the following morning I rose early to find my peace and quiet by the reservoir whilst the locals were sleeping. I just sat for a while and soaked up the scenery and enjoyed the space and stillness that surrounded me. xx k


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

inside one of the cavesinside one of the caves
inside one of the caves

do you see the face on the left?!
thank you boots...thank you boots...
thank you boots...

they,ve gone many miles over the years with me these boots but it's the end of our journey together bye bye boots...


9th November 2008

These boots were made for walking !
Hi Karen, More stunning photos, such wonderful settings for you to camp in.Great memories for you to keep forever, unlike the boots ! Love Mum and Dad xxx

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb