Christmas in 30 degrees!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Si Chang
December 26th 2011
Published: December 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Christmas ShowThe Christmas ShowThe Christmas Show

The festivities began at school on Friday
Well, it’s Monday, I’ve been teaching all day yet still something seems to be not quite right with that. Oh yes, it’s Boxing Day and I’ve been at work for the first time in my life!



My Christmas started at school last Thursday afternoon, with what was supposed to be a Christmas concert but held no resemblance to the festive season at all. Plus, virtually all the music was Thai, which is not only impossible to understand but isn’t really very musical either! Our school band was quite impressive considering they are all teenagers but there were two supposedly well-known bands who came to ‘entertain’ us and I was certainly anything but entertained. Friday was better, all lessons were cancelled and we spent the first two hours having our Christmas show. The school priest came and gave a service, again, I didn’t understand a word of it but managed to use my (limited) knowledge of church services to work out what was probably being said. After that, the students performed all the songs we’ve been rehearsing with them for the last few weeks. The rehearsals were better than the real thing, but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.
Dinner time!Dinner time!Dinner time!

Dressed up as Christmassy as possible at dinner on Saturday
After the music had stopped the staff all opened up various stalls and we had a fair for the rest of the day. The kids were all smiles and even the staff managed to look like they were enjoying themselves!



I went straight from school to Chonburi to stay with Elaine for the night so we could get an early start to Ko Sichang on Saturday morning. It was a very relaxed evening, just a few drinks and food in a bar then back to watch a Christmas film in bed. Me, Elaine and Jodie were the only ones there and not more than half an hour after putting the film on, we had fallen asleep. Way to see the Christmas weekend in! Gavin and Ben came back from the pub about 1am and needed letting in but that’s the closest we got to a party on what was our Christmas Eve! As everyone had to be back at work this week we decided a while ago that Saturday would be our Christmas Day.



We had a lovely day, got to the island just after midday, found our accommodation for the night – a
Christmas DayChristmas DayChristmas Day

The view we were looking out at on Christmas Day - tough life!
beautiful chalet-style room that was going to house 10 of us – and went straight to the beach. It was certainly a surreal experience sitting on the beach and swimming in the sea! We may have had a beer or two whilst there and then headed back to get ready for our evening meal. We may have drank a little more whilst preening ourselves. I wouldn’t say that the meal was the nicest Christmas dinner I’ve ever had, but the company and the atmosphere more than made up for it. I washed it all down with a bottle of Strawberry wine, which, despite the faces I can imagine you pulling, was delicious. I took a few presents from home with me to open down there and saved the rest for getting back to my apartment on Sunday evening. After the meal we sat around talking back at the bungalows but didn’t stay up too late and managed a fairly decent night sleep, despite the snoring!



We had a few more hours on the beach on Sunday and then I headed off the island about 4pm. It took three hours to get back to my apartment and then I managed to Skype the family and join in some of their day too. I don’t think I could manage a Christmas like this every year but it’s certainly been one never to forget. Now to do another week at work before a four day weekend for new year and yet another big gathering to celebrate in style!



Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and hoping you have celebrated by eating and drinking too much and will recover just in time to do it all again next weekend!



Much love xxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb