Cock-a-doodle-urrrghh!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Samet
February 1st 2005
Published: February 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Ao Nuan beach on Ko SametAo Nuan beach on Ko SametAo Nuan beach on Ko Samet

A few minutes walk from our bungalow
We arrived on Ko Samet on wednesday (26th Jan 2005) after a hair-rasing taxi ride across Bangkok in the rush hour and a four hour bus ride to ferry at Ban Phe.

Once on the island we set off walking along the coast, looking for a Bungalow to rent. We initially negotiated for five nights at the "Sea Breeze Beach Bungalows" at Ao Phai ("Ao" is Thai for 'bay') but have just extended for a further 10 nights.

Ko Samet is national parkland and as such doesn't really have any buildings except wooden (and sometimes concrete) bungalows and shacks. The beaches are in small coves and wonderfully quiet with pure white sands and electric blue water.

We eat every night on mats on the beach, lit by flaming torchlight (very "Survivor").

Occasionally we catch a weather forecast to see if it's going to be 31, 32 or 33 degrees.

It seems the island is teeming with wildlife - lots of lizards, crabs, fish (we saw a whole school leap out of the water one morning while we were having breakfast), butterflies as well as stray dogs (who live on the beach) and stray cats (four of which have become resident on our verranda). There is a clinic here set up to deal with snakebites but despite hearing that one slithered into a nearby bar a couple of nights ago, we remain lucky enough not to have met anything slithery yet. The wildlife HIGHLIGHT however has to be the roosters who can't seem to manage a conventional crowing and wake us every morning with their intially-enthusiastic-but-fast-fizzling out "Cock-a-doodle-urrrghh"'s!

The rough plan is to stay here until Chinese New Year (celebrated in Thailand around the 10th Feb) and then head first to the touristy Pattaya (just for a look) and then perhaps north on the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and the ruins of Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Sukhothai before heading south for some more islands and then Malaysia...


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

On the verandaOn the veranda
On the veranda

Our "Sea Breeze" bungalow
Breakfast on Tubtim beachBreakfast on Tubtim beach
Breakfast on Tubtim beach

No puns please...
Late afternoon on the beachLate afternoon on the beach
Late afternoon on the beach

(Tubtim again...our favourite!)


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb