Chatuchak Market in the heat


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 15th 2006
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.7308, 100.521

I slept well until Kyla sent Mel an SMS at 5.30ish!! I showered and we headed down to breaky – Mel arrived at the lift just as Nana and Pa did.

After breaky, we headed to the Chatachuk Market. We caught a taxi there – cheaper and quicker than the train with four of us. The taxi stopped off at 'gem' shop. He took us to 'a place' (as it happened it was Gems) – if he takes tourists some place, he gets a token for petrol. As he said "please 5 minutes, maybe 10 – you help me"

It was unbelievable. When we walked in door we were welcomed and offered a free drink. Then we were shown the (mostly) men making jewellery. At this time I realised that we had a lady to escort us around – no wondering off by ourselves. She and another lady walked, encouraged...... You'd admire something and instantly it'd be taken out and shown to you - you'd be told what stone etc. Very overwhelming – especially since I didn't go in there planning to buy something, just to look at the different jewellery.

We all climbed back into the taxi – Pa in the front seat as usual and Mel, Mum and I in the back. It cost 100BHT for trip – we had to pay in advance as the driver had no money to pay for toll on bridge.

We arrived at the market. It was hot, busy and crowded. It seems to have bits everywhere, no nice straight rows – un-organised chaos. Beware pick-pockets – in this sort of crowd there could be hundreds!! I bought Pantene shampoo and conditioner, handmade paper and ribbon bows and flowers for card making. Also 2 t-shirts for Mel. She was very good - she was hot but her comment was "we're not here just for me".

We caught the underground train back to hotel. We changed then down to pool for a very welcome and refreshing swim. We spent ages in there. I came up and had a shower – told Mel to wait with Nana and Pa for 10 minutes before coming up to give me time to shower. The room was very cold as the air-conditioning had been on all day – in wet bathers it would have been most uncomfortable.

We went to see if we could get Mel's glasses fixed – she sat down on her bed when Nana and I were talking to her, forgetting that she had put her them on it a few minutes before. She broke the bit on the side where the screw goes in. They were not able to be fixed. We could order glasses from there but not ready until Tuesday – shut Sunday and Monday. We won't be in Bangkok on Tuesday - sorry Mel!

Back to hotel and got Tim and Helen and went to tea. Funny pair. Both divorced. I believe they arranged tour then she decided she didn't ‘like' him anymore. Trip booked – bad luck. Helen recognised Mum from previous Maclaey Valley Trip and has latched onto us. She wants to go where we go!! Just can't shake her. Tim is (in his own mind) quite funny. Very good with Mel – talks to her and listens to her. Helen is a bit snobbish. Talks to Mel but only listens to ½ her reply. Happily lets Mum pay for ferries etc although she does pay mum back – why not pay herself??

Before I forget

Got off underground train and walked back to Robinsons. Dad went to hotel to get his shoes that he wanted to get repaired. Mum went to post office then waited for Dad and they shared ‘mango and sticky rice pudding'. Mel and I went (shame shame) to Maccas. It was very interesting.

Instead of Hot Apple Pies they have Hot Pineapple, Tofu or Corn Pies. They have salad (in a milkshake cup) – I think coleslaw and lettuce and???I think you must shake the dressing through. Fried Chicken Pieces (Red Rooster type), Cheeseburgers with beef or pork, Samurai Pork burger, Double Fillet, Jumbo pork, waffle fries (#look-like). The nuggets tasted like chicken fillets (very different to Aussie) and they don't have sweet and sour sauce. Could get three flavours, BBQ & ? & ?. Ketchup and hot sauce were available – you were given two little dishes on your tray and served yourself if you wanted.

We had quick look on the internet at Robinsons. There were two emails – one from Kyla and one from Miss Clear (teacher).

Back to the hotel then we went to dinner – Top Floor Restaurant. We ordered two banquets (1 for 2 to 3 people).

Very very hot soup with prawns.

Boiled rice.

Fried Rice.

Chicken with cashews.

Spring Rolls.

Satay sticks (beef and chicken)

Beef Curry.

? Chicken.

Prawns & ?

It was very nice. With drinks (being two soft drinks and two juices) it was 1408BHT. Mum said 1000BHT us and 500BHT them, then split the change. Helen got out a pen and worked out to a lot closer the amount each was meant to pay – very similar to Mums calculations. Why bother??

We walked back to hotel. A market had been set up along the footpath on both sides. It was very hard to look as there is room for one row of people going each way - very hard to stop as other people behind want to keep going. Trying to walk as a group was impossible. Poor Mel got stuck half way between me and Nana – I wanted to look, Nana wanted to barge ahead (later said she was just getting to next ‘open' spot then was going to wait for us. I didn't know that at time and I had to keep up with Mel who was 2 or 3 people in front of me. She was too far away for me to yell. Despite all difficulties, Mel and I still managed to shop. Nana and Pa ended up leaving us and went ahead. We bought 2 DVD's (Shaggy Dog and Cheaper by the Dozen 2), a Buddah statue for Mel, a cup and saucer ornament on holder and sunglasses for me and a tooth-pick holder magnet for Peter.

Back to hotel. Mel and I went to 9th floor for a look at the view then back to our room.

Mel in bed by 10.15 – me by 11.15

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb