Grand Palace, Emerald Buddah and Thai Toilets


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 16th 2006
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.7308, 100.521

Had breaky (surprise surprise) – same fare as yesterday and day prior.

Packed and off to the Grand Palace. Pa stayed outside as Nana, Mel and I went in. Pa had seen it before. We walked around looking at the amazing buildings with their tiled columns, walls and 'guardians' (mythical creatures). The roofs were also very elaborate. Everything sparkled of gold. We went into see the Sitting Emerald Buddha. People kneeling down in front of him – some just looking, others praying. When sitting, you were not permitted to face your feet towards the Buddha. No shoes and no photos and you must talk in a hushed voice.

It was amazing but incredibly hot. We tried to follow the map but very poorly written/drawn. I had worn a sleeveless top so had to 'borrow' a shirt 100BHT deposit. I happily returned that at the end. We tried to find the reclining Buddha but unable. Finally worked out that it was on a different section of the estate – across the main road and too hard to get too. We picked up Pa and caught a taxi back to the hotel. (It is forbidden to take photographs in the temple, so I purchased some postcards to record the images. On the back of the postcards is found: "According to the prehistoric legend in the olden days it was told that the Emerald Buddha was given by a King of Gods to Nagasena of Pataliputara. He then magically put seven pieces of the Buddha's Holy Relics in the image. It was also told that the image was built in B.E. 500 (B.C. 43) Its age now more than 2000 years.
The Emerald Buddha's lap is 48.2 centimetres long its height from the base to the top of its head is 66 centimetres. The crystal belongs to the monoclinic system in the paroxene group. Its hardness is between 6.5 and 6.7 and its Specific gravity is between 3.33 and 3.35. It has been in the temple of the Emerald Buddha since March 22, 1784".

I forgot to mention – we caught a taxi to the palace and had to stop off on the way at a Jade shop. Taxi drivers get a coupon for petrol if they take the tourists there. "Please 5 minutes you stay!" It was amazing. Jade is a green rock – or so I thought. It comes in black, red, yellow, white and lilac. Again, like gems, we were escorted around by 2 ladies. We were asked if we would like to watch a 5 minute presentation/video on jade. We headed upstairs to the viewing room. We were offered a drink – coke or water then we were left to ourselves to watch the presentation. At end of video, the lady came back in and talked to us about jade. It was very interesting – unfortunately for them, we didn't buy anything.

After palace we went to hotel. Nana, Pa and Mel went for a swim whilst I went to shops to buy a French stick for lunch. I took it and butter and vegemite to pool. I dived in then got out and ate – Mum cut and buttered for me. Back in pool for an hour or so. Mel practising her diving. At start we couldn't call it diving. It was 'stand in diving position and jump in!!' Then fall in on stomach. Finally she was diving. I towed her around the pool. She to me etc. We had fun but after a while my shoulder started to get twinge in it so we stopped. Last thing I need is a buggered up arm/shoulder!

Out, showered, dressed and off to dinner. We went to Robinsons. We took Mum and Dad to the department store to show them some Muslim women. I told them about what they wore and I believe they didn't believe me. Some Muslims we see here wear head scarves to cover hair. Some, as they walk around, hold black cloth over their mouth and nose. Others wear full head gear with only slits available for them to see from. Then there were these other women. I'll call them the women in the iron masks! They wear a metal ‘guard' over their faces – over nose and forehead. It is an awful look.

We ate dinner at Tops (under Robinsons) then went to the supermarket – Mel had specifically asked for dessert tonight – none last night, only birthday cake the night before, so I bought her a magnum. I also bought a chocolate milk for the next week for Pa, Mel and myself.

We walking back to the hotel, I got collared by George the tailor. He sells material, makes clothes and sells bags and suitcases. He gets others to do the actual making. As we leave the hotel, we pass a ? (still don't know what – possibly food shop for locals) then Georges, massages, convenience shop, another shop ‘same' as Georges then a restaurant on the corner. Each time you walk passed Georges and the other tailor, the men outside the shop try to get you to buy something from them. ‘We make you shirt, pants. You buy bag. Why you no buy from me? You never buy from me. Why not?" They are like vultures. It gets to the stage where you try crossing the street to avoid them. Mum has had a couple of shirts and tops made there and we both bought back packs from there so George knows us. The boys don't hassle us now (from his shop anyway). It seems someone from our tour came in to get a fitting for pants he ordered. George had got tailor to come to shop as man had problem with fitting. He left but came back 15 minutes later – he'd left his money belt in the shop. George didn't have it. The man accused George of steeling it – or his tailor. "It is dirty money – I don't want dirty money. I get only money I earn, I don't want any other money”. Poor George was so stressed. I talked to him for maybe 10 minutes (all the while trying to get back to the hotel – Mel is so so tired. She has bags under eyes). Mum and Dad finally appeared so I was able to relay the story and escape!! I put Mel to bed. She told me she wasn't tired but was snappy and short. I left her and went and sat with Nana and Pa and talked about tomorrow (what to do) for 20 minutes to half hour. I went back to my room to find Mel still awake - and still grumpy!!

Told her I was sorry but I was turning light on to write up the travel diary. It must have taken her 45 minutes to fall asleep. Mel asleep by 9.30. Me - I wrote 8 pages (today as well as story on toilet and driving) Bed 10.45.

TOILET Something we don't really discuss let alone talk about. But Thai toilets need to be talked about.

You walk into the toilets. Here, in the entry/hand washing area, you will find either a toilet paper dispenser or a basket of toilet paper. At this point you need to consider what you are there for and how much paper will be required. You get this amount (hoping you get enough) and enter the toilet. At this stage you hope you don't drop the paper as there is none available from within the cubicle. Now the fun part. You do what is required and, as at home, you then do the paperwork. But, the yucky bit, the now-used toilet paper does not go into the toilet where you would expect but in the rubbish bin next to the toilet. Paper is not to be flushed down the toilet!!!

At the Grand Palace, it didn't say we had to dispose of the paper other than in the normal way, but we did get squat toilets. Mel and I went together. I went then helped Mel (luckily only number ones!!). I ended up with my hand on her cheek (and I don't mean the ones on her face) trying to keep her from falling into it. Not easy. Don't know what is easier – I must ask her, doing the ‘Grand Palace squat' or the ‘Mallee squat'

TALKING OF TOILETS:-

All toilets are of ‘American standard'. To flush them you need to use the handle behind the lid – push the handle to flush. The toilet bowl seems bigger than ours – longer and holds three times the water. This means that

1/ when you flush the toilet, you must hold the handle down and count to five, otherwise you might find ‘floaties' being left behind

And

2/ the thought of doing something other than a wee is worrying. That is an awful lot of water that could splash up at you!!

OK – so not all toilets are of American standard.

At service station half way between Bangkok and Cha Am we went to the toilet. We went in the door, had to then step up to the toilet, turning sideways then squatting to go to the toilet. No paper in there. Luckily we BYO tissues now. Once finished you have to carefully swing yourself over the toilet, step down off the slippery wet (hopefully just water wet!!!) then get water from a large trough with a basin and scoop it into the toilet to flush toilet!

DRIVING

The taxi we caught from outside our hotel twice had a 22 year old driver who kindly offered to let Pa drive. "No way” said Pa. I don't think I would be game driving to the end of the street! Cars pull out in front of moving traffic hoping they will stop and let you in. The roads go from three lanes for the traffic going our way and one lane for the opposite direction to two lanes each to 4 lanes just for us. Not confusing at all!!!

Two incidents today:-

We approached a large round-a-bout but instead of driving around it as you do with round-a-bouts, the taxi ‘cut the corner'. There were cars in the middle lane waiting to turn right. As soon as lights gave them/us a green arrow, the driver went on the other side of the road then around corner pushing passed the cars that were correctly waiting to turn. He beeped his horn as the driver that went correctly around didn't give way to us!! They drive and talk on mobile phones, never (well almost never) use blinkers and toot other drivers for doing what they just did a minute ago!! The amazing thing is that you very rarely, if ever, see a car accident.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb