Bangkok - Temples, Shopping and meeting B grade Celebrities!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 1st 2016
Published: August 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

We were sad to leave Cambodia, it had completely won Todd’s heart and he was dying to go back before we even made it across the border. We had decided to do the overland trip to Bangkok from Siem Reap.

We booked a taxi to take us to the border. Once at the border we loaded up with our backpacks and walked across the border relatively easy, stopping on the other side for a toilet and coffee.

We made it to the bus stop just as the bus was about to leave, and while Todd jumped on the bus I quickly ran into the local 7/11 to grab some drinks and snacks for the road. The bus eventually stopped halfway for a meal break and we grabbed some random takeaway dishes and a big bag of pork crackle from a street stall. We spent the next week wishing we had bought 4 bags of it – it was seriously so good!

Once in Bangkok we were itching to get off the bus. It had been too long of a day. We arrived at our hotel – Navalai River Resort and were super happy with it. I had seen this resort on previous trips and had always wanted to stay here so was so stoked to finally be here. It is set right on the river in Banglamphu near Khao San Rd and the river ferry that takes you everywhere is right at the front of the hotel – it is the Phra Athit stop.

Our room was gorgeous and the rooftop pool area lovely too with wonderful views across the city and river. We were so exhausted that all we managed to do was go for a quick walk up Soi Rambuttri, do a little bit of shopping , grab some takeaway Pad Thai from a street vendor and head back to the hotel.

We sat around in the white fluffy bathrobes eating takeaway Pad Thai then ordered ice cream sundaes from room service for dessert.

The following day we headed off to the Chatuchuk Markets. It was so hot that we seriously only lasted about 3 hours but did enough shopping to justify 3 days of shopping. That place is so huge that we seriously only made it through about 3 aisles!! So much great shopping there as well. Shame we couldn't last the day but the weather was 40+ degrees and stinking hot. Exhausted we headed back to the hotel and spent the afternoon by the pool. My friend Tong from “Tour with Tong” came to get us late afternoon and took us to a local temple just outside of Bangkok that she is involved in and helping to fund the building of an extremely large Buddha. It was truly stunning and will look so great when finished. She then took us to a local restaurant where we were the only foreigners for a steam boat meal.

The following morning we were up bright and early eating breakfast riverfront before meeting up with Nina (one of the guides from Tour with Tong) for a walking tour of Bangkok. I truly believe that a walking tour is the only way to go. Bugger being in an air conditioned car (even when you are visiting at the hottest time of the year!)

We did the usual suspects such as the Grand Palace, Wat Po and the Reclining Buddha. We were unable to do Wat Arun as it is still being renovated. We wandered the streets trying some different street foods, did some shopping at the Amulet Markets then headed to Chinatown where we visited the Golden Buddha (truly amazing and worth a look).

Once we finished touring we had lunch at a café in Chinatown (our only request was the best duck we can find please!). We ate in a local restaurant and the meal was beautiful and cheap!

Nina was great value and camera crazy which at the time was hilarious but afterward we were so grateful as it is one of the few days that we have lots of lovely photos of the two of us together rather than just Todd in the photos or me doing selfies!

Later that night we met up with my dear friend Garry and his partner Nid for drinks. It was so great to see them and even better when they attended our wedding 6 months later in Phuket (another day another blog).

Day 3 in Bangkok we did a self tour along the river on the local boats and made our way via public transport to MBK shopping centre. We did some shopping and ate at the local food court on level 6 (not the expensive tourist one on level 5). While waiting for our food an Aussie guy approached us and started chatting. He then told us that he had his own foodie tv show in Australia called Duncan’s Thai Kitchen. Very easy on the eye and I have been a fan ever since! Look him and his foodie series up on youtube and facebook!

The following day it was time to head to Phuket… we needed some relaxation by the pool time as well as lots of wedding planning to do!

Next stop: Phuket


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb