Short stop over in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 24th 2015
Published: March 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Temple in BangkokTemple in BangkokTemple in Bangkok

Unfortunately we forgotten the name of this one
Our Journey to Osaka Kansai airport was straightforward. The train description however was a little over exaggerated. We opted for the only train available, the rapid direct route. This train was not rapid nor direct. Only if you count the 15 stations it stopped at for a good 5/10 minutes each. Very unlike Japan's standards. As the train was full, we had to stand on our feet for most of the 70 minute journey. Not a problem, Chris put on his music and tried to stay awake while P enjoyed a bit of people watching for an hour.

Arriving in Bangkok, was a lovely feeling. Hit by the warm humid air as we stepped outside and struck by the loud traffic we were happy to be in Bangkok knowing that there was no more cold weather to contend with. Rather than get a taxi, shuttle bus or skytrain we opted for the train from the airport to take us to Hua Lamphong train station (nearby where we were staying). The train cost us a mega 5 baht/ 10 pence each for the 50 minute Journey. Now that’s what we’re talking about. Whenever could you do that back home? When it was time to board our train we knew we were definitely no longer in Japan. People physically pushed each other out the way to climb on the train. Think Black Friday in the UK last year. Some people were not joking about getting a seat. As we took a step back from this chaos, it meant we were clearly not in good position for getting a seat and so had to stand for the 50 minute journey. Nothing we couldn't handle. Wish we could have caught the relief on the faces of the people who managed to bag a seat on camera. Soo funny.

It was lovely watching the sun rise on the train and watch the many people on the train prepare for their working day ahead (applying makeup/doing their hair) as well as enjoying the activity on the outside of the train. P spotted someone crouched down over the river doing their business. Yes we certainly are not in Japan.

After figuring out the direction we needed to travel, it took us about 10 minutes to walk to our hostel from the station. As we arrived at around 7:30 am we had to wait half an hour before they opened and another 6 hrs before we could check into our rooms. Thankfully, the Hostel let us shower in the meantime. We both were tired, sweaty and bothered and wanted nothing less than to rest as our overnight flight was uncomfortable and although trying, we slept very little. Instead of waiting 6 hrs in the lounge we chose to explore the local area hoping time would pass quicker. During our exploration we happened across 2 temple complexes (one of which held a 43 metre long reclining Buddha), China town and a maze of a Shopping district. The last thing we now want to stumble across is a shopping district. The amount they had in each city we visited in Japan was unnecessary and secondly as they are huge, you get caught in slow moving crowds. Food options were good and we bought grilled chicken from a street vender (30baht/ 60p) and a couple of delicious large smoothies both mango but one also with banana for P (again 30baht each). Getting back to our hostel at 1pm we were allowed to check in an hour early. We both just slept for around 3 hours.



For our evening meal, we hopped on the 53 bus, mistakenly got off slightly early and walked for about 20 minutes or so before arriving in Bangkok’s backpacker central. Khoa san road. We didn’t complain much about the delay or the mistakes in our journey as the bus only cost 6.5 baht (around 13p), not bad!!!.

We didn't really have much planned in Bangkok as our sole purpose here was mainly to get our Myanmar(Burma) visas. Obtaining the visas was pretty straightforward once we found the embassy. However on the way there Chris twisted his ankle quite badly on a miscalculated step so unfortunately had to hobble the rest of the way.

With a sore ankle coupled with the scorching sun we decided to do most of the day on bus. One difficulty with the buses here is that on one ride they go all around the houses and then the next time it'll take a direct route! No sense whatsoever. Further to this, whether there was someone collecting the bus fare (6.5baht/13p each) was touch and go and so on one occasion we got off baht free. We know we're on a budget but we really didn't mind paying the 6.5 baht.

Next stop, Khao San Rd. This world's famous backpackers street is littered with street food venders selling anything from pad thai, meat skewers, kebabs, banana pancakes and fruit smoothies. All very tempting. It also has a variety of vendors selling clothes, fake ID card, selfie sticks, scorpions on sticks or these frustrating wooden frogs that make the most annoying noises. Ahh, that noise.

We picked ourselves up some obligatory thai pants - every foreigner and their child seem to have a pair. Speaking of which, we've noticed over the years how khao san rd has changed into an almost family friendly street with backpackers and holiday makers (children in tow) alike eating pad thai, bartering with street sellers or taking selfies. A completely different experience from when we first visited back in 2009.

After strolling around for an hour or so we headed back to the pier to take us back, not before indulging in some tasty popular Thai dishes. P opted for a spicy chicken curry with rice while Chris opted for egg fried rice with chicken. Delicious and cheap too only costing 130baht £2.60 for 2 meals and drinks.

We have to mention the scenerary on the way back via the boat river taxi was something else. The temples along the river are lit up beautifully: golds, reds and greens sparkled magnificently in the nights sky. Beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



17th March 2015

Thailand
I've just stumbled upon your blogs, and have enjoyed reading about your time in Thailand (and the food sounded fantastic!). I look forward to your adventures in Myanmar. Cheers, Ren
19th March 2015

re: Thailand
Hi Ren Thanks you, it's nice to know that our blogs are reaching a wider audience beyond family and friends. Hopefully we will start putting up our Myanmar adventures in a day or so. Funnily enough we came across your blogs when blog reading prior to our trip to SE Asia and found it very useful. We're currently in Cameron Highlands, plotting our self guided trek for tomorrow - should be fun! P & Chris

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb