Yo Bangkok - Show us what you Got!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 14th 2014
Published: December 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Travel Enthusiasts and Best Friends, living in different parts of the world, what better way to catch up than visiting a new place, a new culture, an entirely different and unseen world.



Hello People!

My best friend and I are avid travel enthusiasts, always up to see how people in different parts of the world live! Obviously my friend is a little lazy, and little is a mild word for what he is, but ultimately its easy to convince him for a travel plan, and hands down he is the best travel companion possible!

Bangkok happened to be our first of the numerous catching up trips that we plan to do over our lifetime. The First.. The Special.. The Bangkok!!

We reached Bangkok, on the morning of October 3rd, 2014, a Friday! Since we sweared of being a traveler and by no means a tourist, we took the Airport Sky Train to reach our hotel. We did learn a few important "Bangkokian words" to aid our travel, but we missed out on the most important one - "Soi". Owing to this it took us lot more time than required to reach our hotel. But we were more happy than sad because this tryst made us travel through the entire Sukhumvit area of Bangkok. So while we walked through the lanes of Sukhumvit, oh I mean as we moved through the Sukhumvit Sois, we saw numerous massage parlors lining the streets, tasted the traditional Thai street food, the "cool" juice push carts and yes of course the "Tuk Tuks". The colorful and flashy Tuk Tuks with even more colorful Tuk Tuk drivers who ride with a funky speed giving you a happy bumpy ride. Bangkok also houses some amazing continental food joints at Siam Center. We ate and ate.. and ate more!

With numerous yet uniquley distinct iconic structures called "Wats" or buddhist temples lining the City of Bangkok, after hours of fighting my friend and me, we finally agreed on the Top 3 Wats that we wanted to see. These Wats have strict dress code adherance policy. So dressed in local Thai pyjamas with elephant print we started our Tour of the Wats. We started with Grand Palace, the largest of all Wats, followed by, Wat Pho which has a sleeping Buddha and finally the Wat of my choice, we went to Wat Arun. To reach Wat Arun from Wat Pho, a 3- Baht one way ferry needs to be taken, making the anticipation to see this Wat even more tempting. Wat Arun has a "cool" stairway, very steep stairs which scared the shit out of me, and while getting down those steps I was thinking why did I climb it, to hell with all the travel fun! But once down and sun all ready to set, I was like Ooooh this was a place to be! Had some local "Singa" Beer and Fried Chicken while we saw the Sun Set over the Wat, near the river.

Since it was a Saturday, we next headed towards the "Chatuchak Weekend Market", a market with most "Authentic-Fake" stuff! Prada, Gucci, Mont Blanc, u name it, we had it! Content with our bargaining skills and too happy with our purchases, we quickly got itsy bitsy/ prim proper dressed for the "Sky Bar at The Lebua". Well eh this was the place with even more strict dress code. People in Bangkok are surely very particular about the dressing policy. When in Wat full clothes, when in Lebua formal clothes, jeans with a rip not allowed, where on earth does that happen!

Lazy Sunday morning, started with a "Had To Do" "Thai Massage", my trip would not have been complete without one! So much heard and not do, just not happening with me! Following this was the ride to the "Taling Chan Floating Market". With great variety of local food and drinks, the way Thai people were enjoying there sunday afternoon brunching was such a delightful sight. The place gave the feel of a typical Thai countryside. Seeing numerous old wooden boats in the canal next to the floating market, we got into one, and the moment we got into one, it started to pour, and pour like crazy. Spirits high we sang "Country Roads" with the other fellow boat mates. Since it was evening next we made way to the "Patpong Night Market", night market like night market, and you should understand what I mean by Night Market.

Finally on the day, we had to leave, I was so much in "Aww" of the place. Weekend market, floating market, night market, so typical, so different. And as if this was not enough, we next went to Terminal 21, one of the most creative malls I have seen so far. Mall with the architecture of an Airport, utterly beautiful; utterly creative. Me likes it, too much!

And finally back to Suvarnabhumi Airport. Special shout out to the Concierge at our Hotel who gave us the City Map, it helped the traveler in me to not get lost!



Signing Off Bangkok!

You were super amazing and made the HappyTraveler28 happier!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb