VISA RUN


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 7th 2013
Published: October 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A visa run is common when foreigners have difficulties getting a resident visa. To avoid overstaying you must leave the country and reenter. I got a visa run to Thailand, in amazing Bangkok. Finding words to describe it is not easy.

It began with Qatar Airlines, with room to cross my legs and a delicious snack. Bangkok reminds me of Shanghai: large, modern, fast—but with a soul. Skyscrapers, a metrorail, but hundreds of temples and small shrines in front of buildings, huge pictures of the king and queen, and ornate parks, street lights, and offices. Our first dinner was from the back of a truck which set up tables on the sidewalk, in front of 7-Eleven. (Food was very good).

Our only full day began with a minor scam for the water taxi. But we bargained to a good deal for an hour boat tour. We saw fancy and delapidated houses on stilts, temples every ¼ mile, and even canal locks we went through. we walked around the Grand Palace. Grand is very much an understatement. Dozens of buildings totally covered with mosaics and jeweled details, all beautifully maintained. In a couple of hours we could only do a corner.

In the afternoon we went to a market, with 15,000 stalls of merchandise. I got a couple of good bargains. It is the shopping destination of southeast Asia. By the end of the day the transportation included a boat, tuk-tuk (an open 3-wheel rickshaw), taxi, bus, and metrorail. (see the last 2 pictures)

A few days before that trip, another blessing came my way. Being alone or homesick has seldom been a problem to me. A hint of it creeped in when two friends were in town and we had laughs, conversation, and dinner. Best of all were the hugs. Many people have been friendly but there is some distance. Thanks Bonnie and Jennifer for a touch of home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



7th October 2013

Number 1.
Great pictures. What an interesting day.
11th October 2013

Thanks. It was great!

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb