Bangkok day two


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 12th 2013
Published: August 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today is a national holiday in Thailand to celebrate the Queen's birthday and Mother's Day broadly as she is considered mother of the country. There are banners, portraits and flowers everywhere. And, conveniently, people dont go to work so the infamous traffic isn't too bad.

We took the sky train and river ferry to the Wat Pho temple, famous for its giant golden reclining Budha. While we've seen a few temples already during the trip, this one really does rate highly on the fancy-meter. The colors (or colours for the Brits) are spectacular and the buildings are very ornate. Their reclining Budha might appear to be a lazy bloke having a rest, but no! In fact this symbolizes the ultimate state of nirvana only achieved immediately before death. Live and learn, eh?!

The weather today was very hot and very humid, which probably explains why decided to head back to the hotel pool in the early afternoon. So plans to see the grand palace and/or Wat Arun are on hold until tomorrow.

A side note on public toilets of Asia that we've seen so far....

Beijing: there is one on every corner it seems. With an attendant in an orange suit. There is no toilet paper so bring your own. And if you're a girl or need a number two, get used to "squatty potties" which are holes in the floor usually without doors/walls for privacy!

Hanoi: there are no public loos. Be warned!

Bangkok: there are a few public pissoirs here and there, but like China toilet paper is rare. Also note that they're privately owned so bring 2-5 baht (5 baht is 15 cents or 10 pence).

There. Hope that helps next time you find yourself desperate in Asia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Stop, In The Name of Love!Stop, In The Name of Love!
Stop, In The Name of Love!

Come on, you know you want to sing along!!


13th August 2013

fancy bumping into you guys on sukhumvhit soi 29!
Lovely dinner last night, great to catch up and see how Ben and Cerys have grown. Enjoy today and then Chiang Mai, I am off to Singapore this pm as flights are full tomorrow. Will do my best to drop in on you in Bali as i will be in Jakarta at the end of next week... lots of love SD (Michael - I can't believe you still have the white bike! I beat Nick up the climb out from Hebden Bridge in the Pennines on that... :))
13th August 2013

Great to see you too Simon. Hope to see you later in our trip, or next time you happen to be in Minneapolis! By the way, I reckon your old bike my have some value as an antique by now!
13th August 2013

Asian loos
Many thanks for the info on Asian public loos, G Michael. The photos look great Summs. Looks like your having a cracking time.
13th August 2013

Hello George!
Or should I call you Mr B. Urglar? Hi Smithy! Yes, we are having a lot of fun here. Done a lot if walking and seen almost enough temples to last a lifetime. Might have room for one or two more. Take care, and send our love to Mrs B. Urglar.

Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb