Kamthieng House Museum (The Siam Society)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 25th 2013
Published: July 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Lanna houseThe Lanna houseThe Lanna house

Within the Lanna culture, houses were owned and run by women. After a death, it would pass to the youngest daughter.
Today I decided to go exploring and took a trip to the Siam Society's Kamthieng House Museum. The house is a traditional Thai house, originally built in Chiang Mai in the mid-1800's. The Lanna were a matriarchal society, and the house passed from mother to daughter. The family donated it to the Siam Society.

The house is raised, like most traditional Thai houses. Going up the stairs and into the house feels like stepping back in time. The house is really three separate buildings, each with a distinct purpose. Only one of them is really considered living space, and it's divided into two parts: the outside porch where guests are greeted and entertained, and the inside private area where the family sleeps, weaves, and spends time together. For a guest to cross into the inside room without permission was culturally unacceptable.

The other buildings weren't considered part of the living space. One was the kitchen. Early in the morning, the mother would rise early to cook the big meal. (The only cooked once a day.) People ate lots of vegetables and small animals. There was a video showing how the "mom" made curried frog with spicy crab paste. "So
Ready!Ready!Ready!

To receive suitors and spin yarn.
good you'll forget your siblings!" she promised. It was interesting to watch her cook using traditional methods.

The third building was the rice storage building. It traditionally wasn't connected to the house by a walkway; instead it had a separate ladder. The larger the building, the more wealthy the family. Men looking for women to court would often look at the size of the rice storage building before deciding which family to call on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Ham YonHam Yon
Ham Yon

It goes above the bedroom door to protect the family.
WeavingWeaving
Weaving

A very important skill within the culture. A woman's skill could define her status.
Male tattoosMale tattoos
Male tattoos

Without them, a Lanna man would not get much respect.
The kitchenThe kitchen
The kitchen

This is where the cooking happens.
Rice calendarsRice calendars
Rice calendars

Used to determine the most auspicious days to harvest the rice.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb