Friday, March 15, 2013 - Phuket and Bangkok, Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 15th 2013
Published: March 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Spirit House at our HotelSpirit House at our HotelSpirit House at our Hotel

JW Marriott - Phuket, Thailand
Friday, March 15, 2013

Todd slept until 550am, this is a miracle. Everyone else slept until 730am. Today after everyone had breakfast they had free time to do what they wanted until 1200pm. Our airport transportation was scheduled to leave at 100pm, flight is 250pm.

At breakfast we all had a typical combination of western and Thai food. We also did our vitamin shots, I am telling you, good stuff. It was interesting that the same server/waiter at the Marriott Café remember us and what we liked to drink every morning. We are very impressed with this considering the hundreds of people coming through this restaurant daily.

After breakfast we went back to the room and finished packing and then Michael went to work out and Jenny skyped a friend back in San Antonio and Cindy and I went to look at sea turtles, however the season is done, it was in December. So we decided to walk around the hotel grounds exploring parts of the grounds we had not seen before. We also took photos of the ocean. We meet and Australian couple that took our photos. For the first time the ocean water looked blue. Great
Lobby area of the hotelLobby area of the hotelLobby area of the hotel

JW Marriott - Phuket, Thailand
setting for our photos. We then visited two adult only pools. They were beautiful and had several adults just relaxing. The largest pool at the hotel is a family pool and there were some kids using that pool. I wish we had more time to swim, particularly using the adult pools, however that wasn’t happening.

We are meet back in the room and brought our luggage to the bellman to store until we left. We had a quick lunch in the Siam Café. It was a really quick lunch. We enjoyed the excellent food one more time.

Our trip to the airport took 20 minutes. We think there may have been a dignitary in a car motorcade that passed us when driving to the airport. Who knows who it was, but obviously important to have a police escort. When we arrived at the airport, between going through two security checks, checking in, checking our bags, and going to our gate, the entire process took less than 20 minutes. The first security check involved just putting our bags through the scanners. I bet they were checking for foods that can leave the area. The second security check point was
Reflection pool at the hotelReflection pool at the hotelReflection pool at the hotel

JW Marriott - Phuket, Thailand
your typical security check, however I did not have to pull out my laptops.

We boarded a bus which took us to our flight. From there we had to walk up a steep and long staircase. This flight was not as eventful at the one coming from Bangkok to Phuket. This time the inflight entertainment system was not operational , that was fine. We did get a meal, however I was the only one in the family that took one. I ate just a few of the smaller items on the tray.

After landing back in Bangkok and got our luggage, we were greeted by the hotel driver. We stayed at the same hotel, Conrad Hilton. It took us about an hour to get to our hotel. The extra time was due to the heavy traffic and a heavy rain storm that occurred about an hour before we landed. The driver was crazy. He would stop suddenly, swerving in and out of traffic, and then moving from one side of the road to the next. We were all a little weasy after this ride.

The check in process was the same as our last visit. The reception
One of Two Adult only poolsOne of Two Adult only poolsOne of Two Adult only pools

JW Marriott - Phuket, Thailand
took us to our rooms to complete the check in process. Once again we had a cloth elephants on our beds. So cool.

After our luggage arrived, we headed to the Executive lounge for a little snackage and adult beverages. We all did Facebook and other relaxing stuff, lol.

After we finished in the Executive lounge we took a quick peek at the hotel pool on the 7th floor. We hoped it would be open late so we could swim later, however it was closing at 900am, the current time was 830pm. We had not eaten dinner yet.

We ate dinner again in the hotel restaurant, the food is so good there and very consistent. One thing I never mentioned in the travel blog is at almost all of the sit down restaurants we always got a cold towel; sometimes hot, to watch our face and hands. The cold always came in handy when it was super hot. Cindy and I got burgers and Jenny and Michael had Caesar salads. As usual before paying the bill we were offered a plate of fresh fruit. This time there was sticky rice, a sugary rice dish.

Before we called it an evening, when in Bangkok, most tourists visit the Red Light district. We did not want a taxi to drop us off in their area, however we thought it would be better to hire a taxi to drive us around through the area so we could take pictures. I think we were all in shock on what was happening in that area. The taxi driver drove us down a very busy alley that was full of very “interesting stuff”, enough said. I took some photos, however they will not make it on the blog. The area did have a mix of street shopping, but still full of “interesting stuff.” When driving down the alley, Michael and I had our windows down (Cindy and Jenny kept their windows closed) and we were asked if want something (not discussing here). The taxi driver finally yelled something to one of the guys which I am sure said we were tourist and just taking photos. The metered taxi ride cost us 100 Bhat.

We arrived back at the hotel by 1100pm. We need to wake up at 430am to met our scheduled transportation to the airport to catch our Saturday morning
The other adult pool at the hotelThe other adult pool at the hotelThe other adult pool at the hotel

JW Marriott - Phuket, Thailand
flight.

I will write my final blog entry for our flight home and our general observations about Thailand probably on Sunday when we are back in the states.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb