Siam Square


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 22nd 2006
Published: July 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tooday we ventured a littler further afield were feeling a little braver and a little more aclimatised! We headed back on the river taxi to the end terminal (named central station i didn't get the logic!) and then hopped on the Skytrain which is just like the Underground but above the city. Our destination was Siam Square which is the shopping centre which is popular with young trendy thais.

There are three huge malls aroung the square so we spent the day wandering in and out watching normal Thai's going about there normal lives. We headed for lunch in the food court in one of the malls the Siam Centre, where you could buy any type of food imaginable. Bex opted for a ham and cheese toastie (very thai) where as Pete went for a bowl of noodle soup. He learnt one very valuable lesson when asked the questioin "you want spicy?" by a thai he replied "yes please" a fatal error as he spent the next half on hour sweating - even though the air con was fairly cold!!!

We hadn't realised it was a saturday meaning all the thai's were out shopping just like back home so
Toilet signToilet signToilet sign

Do you think she is desperate to go?
it was really busy. It was nice to spend the day in air con malls, not over heating or being hassled by touts every 5 minutes. We sepnt a fair amont of time spotting the old english men with young thai women very funny to watch.

Koh San Road and Siam square are like to different Bangkoks, Koh san road is like fake anomoly here just for the backpackers and nothing like the real bangkok or like real thais.

We managed to survive the thai heat and spent the whole day out and aout which was good we were beginning to feel traped in koh san road.

We spent the evening in a nice little bar / resturant just down from our hotel drinking the beer chang (water for bex) . In Bangkok today it was an election day and people aren't alowed to serve beer, although ths rule wasn't always followed they merely asked you to poor the beer into a plastic cup and hide the bottle under the table!!! My heart did sink when a police man walked in but trouble was avoided.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Mango LagoonMango Lagoon
Mango Lagoon

A lovely (but slightly blury - is that the beer or the camera?) spot for a chilled out dinner and a Beer Chang


23rd July 2006

shades
Cool guy in the shades ... and was that Becky with her legs nearly crossed? Mum xx.
26th July 2006

bad-ass trousers
Nice strides Jones... loving the blue-trouser-outside-temple action. Looks an awesome trip... don't get arrested for being drunk and disorderly or anything. Dan.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb