5 nights in Bangkok make a Swiss family humble


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 3rd 2012
Published: October 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

JT house 1JT house 1JT house 1

Peeking out of Jim Thompson's bedroom
(Please note we have no control over photo placement in this blog... so the photos below don't keep up with the text, but scroll to the bottom to see the full collection. We will soon create a Flickr page to allow you to see a broader selection of our travel photos, should you care to...)




Arrival in Asia:



After an easy flight from London (read: children slept the whole way!) and smooth arrival in Bangkok (read: traffic was only marginally bad... the last 50meters of our journey took 45minutes), we kicked our Thai adventures off with some local cuisine around the corner from our lovely little hotel, the Old Bangkok Inn. That was to be the first lap on our of Pad Thai marathon. In spite of the 5 hour time difference, we were all tired enough to collapse in bed by 10pm. (No comment on the number of times Mimi woke up during the night, ready for fun and games. Sam, on the other hand, slept miraculously like a log the whole night!)

The Old Bangkok Inn is located near the Democracy Monument and the Golden Mount Temple (Wat Saket). Our room was the Lotus
JT house 2JT house 2JT house 2

The kids explore Jim Thompson's gardens. We agree that this would make a good house for us.
room, a beautiful family suite with two bedrooms and a semi-outdoor bathroom. Needless to say, the latter was a big hit with the kids who particularly enjoyed taking their baths outdoors. These had to be timed carefully however as it is still the rainy season in Bangkok and we were confronted with frequent downpours.


Bangkok DAY 1:



We had a happy start to the day with a breakfast feast of new unfamiliar fruits and some familiar standards.

Braving the rain, we took an express long-tailed boatfrom our nearby Tha Phanfa canal boat stop to Jim Thompson's house , where we found ourselves more curious about the man than the collection. Consensus in our family is that the CIA is behind his disappearance and it is high time Hollywood got on board with a movie about it.

After a pleasant lunch in the house gardens, we dove into the nearby urban madness and sought out Siam Ocean World . This was a surprisingly large and well-organized aquarium on the ground floor of Siam Paragon, one of Bangkok's many MASSIVE shopping centers, in the shopping district of Siam, in the heart of Bangkok. (I- Lea- kept on wondering if this might
urban jungleurban jungleurban jungle

Urban Jungle
be the shopping center built over the land that used to contain the Queen Mother's gardens and the former Intercontinental Hotel, managed by my father 40years ago...)

Luckily, the weather dried up in the afternoon, allowing us to get around by foot. After the aquarium, we made our way to the Erawan shrine, believed to be one that brings good luck to its visitors.

As Sam began to fall asleep in my arms, we realized we had completely forgotten to factor in some naptime for our energetic little 2year old. This prompted us to quickly head to the closest ferry stop, hoping for an easy and quick return to our hotel. As it happens, the Erawan luck was not with us. While we were boarding the ferry, I climbed on board first so that Arnaud could safely hand me the kids. Before I had time to even get solid footing and reach out for the first of my children, the boat suddenly moved backwards and away from the canal-side platform, leaving me to struggle to regain my balance on the edge of the boat. Then, much to my surprise, the boat took off… leaving behind a stunned Arnaud,
bangkok contrasts bangkok contrasts bangkok contrasts

Bangkok contrasts
still holding Sam in his hands over the canal waters and a rather upset Mimi by his side… That is when I realized Arnaud also had our backpack with him, meaning I was not only without my family, but without any money, phone, or clue of the name of my ferry stop. The Thais around me were equally upset by what had just happened and rallied to help me. First they scolded the innocent man who dared to ask me for my ticket. Next, one of them called his brother, whom also had been left behind on the canal platform and said brother handed his phone over to Arnaud, whom was rather amused to have a complete stranger hand him a cellphone and find his wife on the other end. And that is how we were able to come up with our game plan to find each other again and make it home safely… together.

Dinner was at The Deck , a lovely riverside restaurant with breathtaking views of the Temple of Dawn, Wat Arun. Even though it was only a short walk away from the hotel, we couldn’t resist turning this into an opportunity to take the kids for
tuktuk no.1tuktuk no.1tuktuk no.1

Tuktuk ride no.1 (while driver stops to ask for directions!)
a much anticipated ride in a tuk-tuk.


Bangkok DAY 2:



Jet lag got the best of us this morning and we all slept right through the morning, only emerging at 11am! Breakfast therefore turned into brunch, followed by a quick tuk-tuk ride to the Grand Palace. The kids were delighted by all the golden and sparkling structures- some halls, some stupas (or chedis, as they are called in Thailand), some statues... It took them no time at all to figure out that one bows to the Buddha with hands together, a gesture they mastered with enthusiasm.

Next, we strolled over to the dazzling Reclining Buddha of Wat Po. The massage school at the back of the temple grounds was also somewhat of a draw for us, though the long lines scared us off.

Another lovely riverside dinner, this time at the Verandah of the legendary Oriental Hotel, touted by some as having the world’s best Pad Thai… (how then, I ask you, could we not give it a try?) The food was indeed pretty perfect and the children’s menu and friendly service made the experience all the more pleasant (and the bill was actually fairly
WatWatWat

Wat's Arun there, Sam?
reasonable, contrary to our expectations…) But gentlemen be warned: bermudas and sandles are not permitted- thankfully Arnaud was tipped off just in time.


Bangkok DAY 3:



This day was dedicated to the Khlongs of Bangkok. We decided to avoid the tourist track by allowing a young French man- a contact through Arnaud’s vast network- to take us around on his own long-tail boat. It was fun to visit some of the less frequented waterways of Bangkok and get lost in one of the lively floating markets for lunch- without another “farang” in sight. Less fun, was said young Frenchman forgetting to fill his boat’s petrol tank before collecting us which led us to run out and have to float along until some friendly Thais came to our rescue.

After a much needed rest at the hotel, we were lucky enough to enjoy a dinner invitation by a former colleague of mine, who now heads up WHO’s operations in Thailand (thank you, Maureen!) Being able to dine in such a child-friendly home and have some stimulating adult conversation was a true treat. It was also fun to simply hear about expat life in Bangkok.


Bangkok

kids at temple 1kids at temple 1kids at temple 1

Mimi and Sam at the Grand Palace
DAY 4:

More friendly hosts reached out to us on Monday… This time it was Kun Niphon, a dear old Thai friend of my parents and owner of the fabulous Venus Jewelry shop. We were spoiled not only with a visit to his showroom where the children were allowed to pick out necklaces, but then we were taken for lunch at Bangkok’s swanky Polo Club. (Many thanks to both Kun Niphon and his friendly son, Pala, for the delicious meal and gracious company.)



In the afternoon, we attempted a visit to Vimanmek Mansion, the world’s largest golden teak mansion. After an hour and half of rainy traffic jams, we finally got to the gates, only to be told it was closed. When we asked why our tickets (purchased the previous day) said “Open every day”, we got a smile and a shrug and the answer “yes, every day, tomorrow.” And to those of you complaining that we are not posting blogs every day, I would like to offer the same response…with a smile and a shrug.


Bangkok departure for Siem Reap, Cambodia (DAY 5):



Though we were originally planning to take a train to the Thai border with Cambodia (at Aranyaprathet) and brave the scam-heavy confusion at the border to then continue by bus to Siem Reap, Arnaud came across a website that seemed to spare us the stress and lengthy hours the above entailed with the offer of direct car service (for a slightly higher price- of course… ok, literally twice the price, but half the time!) All I had to hear was that I wouldn’t have to wake up at dawn to catch the 5:55am train and I was on board. So at 10am sharp, as planned, we were met at our hotel by a friendly driver and his slightly old (we’re guessing late 1980s) but solid-looking Volvo. Our luggage only barely fit in the trunk, which had to be held closed with some rope, but we still managed to take off with everyone buckled-in and comfortable. The 3rd class-only train might have been more interesting and scenic, but considerably less air-conditioned on this sunny steamy Tuesday.

We made it safely and happily to the border. Our Thai driver dropped us off some 50meters away and we knew that we would have to walk across before meeting our Cambodian driver, who was supposedly waiting on the other side with our names on a sign. We should have known that such simplicity was too good to be true. To make a long story short, there was no driver waiting for us… just a whole bunch of dodgy scammers trying to pull us in different directions (sometimes apart from our luggage!)… and 2 passport controls, 300 meters of carrying our own luggage, and one 10min. government shuttle bus later, we were climbing into a very beat up taxi who agreed to take us (and only us) to Siem Reap for $48.



Goodbye Thailand, Helloooo Cambodia!






A few more stats for the week:




17: No. of times Sam has delighted crowds (or maybe just us) with his rendition of “Petit Papa Noel”

4: No. of known occasions unknown tourists have taken photos of our children (not always with our permission)

25: Percentage of taxis with seatbelts

3: No. of days it took Arnaud to figure out he was saying the female thank you in Thai

0: No. of Thai massages enjoyed by Lea!!!!!!



Some travel

lessons learned the hard way:

• Mosquitoes are not drawn by light but by our perfume.
• When you are going to spend a day on a boat, bring your own hats and hang on well to them.
• When a boat driver tells you that those fish are going to splash you a bit, he means you are going to get soaked and you’d better put away your camera.
• Even if the morning is super sunny, bring rain gear during a rainy season day.
• Just because the guidebook says the Democracy Monument is the most famous monument in Bangkok doesn’t mean any of the city’s cab drivers will agree... let alone have the slightest clue of where it is located.
• If a deal sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Sam, our human passportSam, our human passport
Sam, our human passport

Sam, our human passport, charms the Royal Guard
Coping mechanisms 1Coping mechanisms 1
Coping mechanisms 1

Tropical coping mechanisms no.1
Coping Mechanisms 2Coping Mechanisms 2
Coping Mechanisms 2

Tropical coping mechanisms no.2
Coping mechanisms 3Coping mechanisms 3
Coping mechanisms 3

Tropical coping mechanisms no.3
reclining buddha reclining buddha
reclining buddha

Reclining Buddha of Wat Po
more buddhasmore buddhas
more buddhas

More buddhas at Wat Po and our very own Golden Boy
learning to bowlearning to bow
learning to bow

learning to bow
Tuktuk no.2Tuktuk no.2
Tuktuk no.2

Tuktuk no.2 (though we soon lost count!)
klongs1klongs1
klongs1

Enjoying Venice of the East
klongs4klongs4
klongs4

Floating market
floating market1floating market1
floating market1

Looking for some lunch


3rd October 2012

votre voyage
j'ai adoré les commentaires ( pas toujours bien traduit ). Bravo, continuez votre beau voyage. Et envoyez nous de superbes photos On vous embrasse très fort.
3rd October 2012

Thailand
Love your blog and catching up on all your adventures. You need a little time to do nothing, relax and get a massage!! Bisous from Houston...
4th October 2012

Vos photos donnent vraiement bcp envie de voyager...ca a l'ai d'etre memorable deja!
4th October 2012
learning to bow

la vie est belle !!!!
trop belle et vous avez tout compris enjoy no limit
4th October 2012
JT house 2

Soooooo gorgeous
OMG.....How much do I LOVE this picture of the kids. I can't stand it!!!!
4th October 2012

Love every line :)
My dears! Just read every line and loved it...thanks for finding time to bring us closer to our adventures, feels like we are enjoying with you! Miss ya lots, Su&Co
4th October 2012
Tuktuk no.2

Tuktuk it over to LA!
You guys are crazy lunatics and I love it. We are eating macaroni and cheese and living vicariously through you. xx
5th October 2012

I love the story about being separated from the family by the boat pushing off and the bystanders coming to your rescue. Thanks for these great glimpses of your adventure. I flew back into Geneva this week and felt your absence very keenly as I passed Grand Saconnex. Hugs to all of you.
8th October 2012

Brilliant - your Bangkok to Cambodia experience brought back all the memories of the border chaos! Sounds like you are all having a wonderful time in the tropical heat and rain, while autumn is arriving here in the Alps! Keep exploring and adventuring, and enjoy your travels!
10th October 2012

Bonjour de Paris
J'admire la qualité de tes photos et commentaires sur votre voyage. (Susan m'a fourni l'adresse de travelblog) Bonne continuation et bises à tous les quatre de Francine et Jamy.

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb