Day 10 – Thai suburbia


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 29th 2012
Published: March 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok! Actually, the hotel is about an hour from Bangkok, which Mom was unaware of when booking our rooms. So we’re considering finding another hotel closer to downtown for the rest of our time in Bangkok, but we’ll see. A taxi ride for seven people to Bangkok is only 60 kr. so it might not be necessary. Also, Dad seemed excited about the prospect of trying out public transportation at some point.

The good thing about living far away from the city is experiencing another side of Thailand, a side less affected by tourists. Suburbia. Our hotel, which is really nice and has a neat swimming pool, is located in a large residential area, right next to a local market. Fish, vegetables, meat; everything was cooked at the stands and sold at very cheap prices. Dad was too apprehensive about the hygiene to buy any food, but the rest of us tried out local dishes. Kasper ordered a dish without meat – as he is a vegetarian – but found out after we’d left that there were tiny crayfish in it. Apparently seafood isn’t considered meat in Thailand.

Katja, Kaja, and Kia also found time to christen the pool,
Local marketLocal marketLocal market

Not the best picture, more will follow..
while Kasper and me sun-bathed. I hope people back home can tell I’ve been on vacation when I get back. Kasper and Dad look like they’ve been dipped in soy sauce. They tan so easily! Kasper and I also managed to join Katja, Kaja, and Kia in the pool when the sun was no longer in sight.

Mom brought a tiny pocketknife in her carry-on (which hadn’t been a problem in Copenhagen), but was forced to leave it behind at security in Phuket. Instead they sent it to Bangkok so she could pick it up after we landed. But stressful as the airport is, she forgot it. So while all five kids were in the pool, and Dad watching TV in his air con room, Mom went back to the airport to get her pocketknife. I don’t think she’ll take her chance on our flight back to Denmark. This was her second time (on two flights) that she has been held back by security.

Tomorrow, we plan on going to Bangkok to shop amok! I brought a looooong list from home of stuff I need: Clothes, shoes, a bag, glasses, tea, and cleats etc. But then again, someone
View from our roomView from our roomView from our room

The blue is the pool. Unfortunately, my camera was unable to capture the blue awesomeness of the whole pool..
is turning 23 in three days... 😉


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb