Arrival Day! The Amulet Market


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 3rd 2011
Published: February 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuk TukTuk TukTuk Tuk

Our first ride in the tuk tuk to the amulet market!

The Amulet Market













We've just arrived. It's 11 am on a Friday and we take the 30 minute drive to The Old Bangkok Inn. It didnt end up in what we'd call the best part of town, but it was an amazing little place. Mom asked me if i was ready to go out, and I replied "You betcha!" but it wasn't until we got back to the states that I told her how scared out of my mind I had been to leave that hotel.

We decided the first thing we should do was to hit the amulet market. It was "Just a tuk tuk ride to the river, and a quick ride on a speed boat." We made it to the docks, got our tickets, and hopped on. We went to the food stalls and had our first truly Thai meal...Noodle something! I remember the boy that served us kept trying to give me an oreo. As we walked around the stalls we saw everything from skirts, sandals, and amulets to mangy cats sitting on tables of raw chicken and their juices in the open air.
Old Bangkok InnOld Bangkok InnOld Bangkok Inn

Ready for Siesta
Yum. I didn't make the connection until about 5 days later that that was the chicken we'd been eating all week.

After our walk through the amulet market and Koh San Road, mom decided we should just "ride the river". We were lost after 5 minutes, but we made it back eventually! By 7 O'clock, we were done and jet lagged so we decided to walk to a little restaurant down the street. Our first dinner in Thailand: Fried snake skin!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Dinner: Day 1Dinner: Day 1
Dinner: Day 1

Syd negotiating with a food vendor


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb