Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 2nd 2006
Published: June 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok was a great relief after Delhi - everything so easy, and people so friendly - well, we were a little wary of the constant cacophany of cries "HEELLLOOOOOOO MAASSSAAAAAGEE" !!.

After a couple of days acquainting ourselves with the fleshpots of the city (courtesy of Enda and his ragtag posse!), we set off for Koh Samet for some beach time (having met up with Aileen who was unfairly looking very tanned compared to my pasty skin!). Despite being caught there during a thunderstorm and overcast skies, I still managed to get completely burnt raw, and it's getting to the stage where we're afraid to use a flash on the camera for fear of UV exposure!

Visiting the Snake Farm, which is part of the Red Cross as it's involved with developing anti-venom, was great fun (as you can see with the excess of photos!) and frightening too as we saw 4-fingered hands, and skin grafts of the snake-trainers where things had gotten out of hand.

The city is very easy to get around, and as we were based down near the Patpong District (not quite convent country shall we say!), the daily river boat up to the city centre was very enjoyable. The Grand Palace is spectaculour, and the glare from all the gold and ornate architecture is blinding. Visited the world's biggest weekend market, and it was chaos, selling everything from counterfeit Gucci to electric-shock fly swatters, 4 ton vases and "pet" snakes!

A couple of days was enough in the city, and we shortly went to book our bus (VIP of course) to Chiang Mai, as the trains were still cancelled due to flooding. Had to enlist transportation on the back of a 1-person-motorbike, which carried the driver, myself in the middle, and Thomas squeezed on the back burning his legs on the exhaust!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Me and Aileen..Me and Aileen..
Me and Aileen..

..a before and after beach shot!
Restaurant Distractions..Restaurant Distractions..
Restaurant Distractions..

..dummies robed in prophylactics!
Enda and I..Enda and I..
Enda and I..

...appropriately displaying our disapproval in the seedier areas of Bangkok
What happens....What happens....
What happens....

...to your hand if you take your eye of them for a second.
Next stop....Steve IrwinNext stop....Steve Irwin
Next stop....Steve Irwin

Auditions for Britney's next video were not going well..(see yer man behind me pinching my leg and getting a scream from me!)
Cool as a cucumber..Cool as a cucumber..
Cool as a cucumber..

...lucky you can't see my knees knocking together!


11th June 2006

Pictures
Can't believe you guys!!!!! Those poor poor animals!!! We must have changed you in the Transsib!!!! I'm going to write Greenpeace about the horrors that you've been doing!!! MUAHAHAHAHA.. anyway, smit and me will win this contest!!!

Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 26; qc: 126; dbt: 0.1417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb