Thai boxing, Thai cooking, Thai elephants...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 20th 2011
Published: August 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So we’re back in Bangkok for another visa run to another embassy. This time we need to get our Indian visas. Timing is a bit of an issue since the embassy in Bangkok only issues 3 month visas and they start counting down from the date of issue rather than the date of first entry. This works for us, but barely as we plan to finish our trip to India in mid-November.

Anyways, since we didn’t do much tourism in Bangkok last time we felt like we should make a better effort this time. There was a Muay Thai boxing tournament taking place outside MBK shopping centre which happened to be a block from our hotel. After watching a bit from the overhead walkway we decided to take in a full night of the real stuff at Lumphini stadium. The only drawback is that foreigners are charged way more than the locals, so we decided to go all the way and splurge for ringside seats. There were 11 matches including 2 preliminaries and the intensity grew with each match. More exciting than the matches themselves was the atmosphere of the crowd that went absolutely crazy with their betting and cheering.
Massaman curryMassaman curryMassaman curry

Such amazing cooks we are!
It was an awesome night out.

The next afternoon we decided to take a cooking class. Thai food has been some of our favourite along the way so we figured we should learn to cook it for ourselves (what better souvenir to take home from a country). It started with an explanation of the various flavours and spices at a market and then we went to the cooking school where we prepared and ate 5 fantastic dishes. The real test will be if we can make our new recipes at home!

We still had a few more days left before we could pick up our passports from the embassy so we decided to head two hours north of Bangkok to Ayuthaya for three nights. Ayuthaya was once the capital of Siam before it was sacked by Burma back in the day. Now there are a few scattered ruins among a largely modern town. The temples were interesting, but our favourite part was taking an elephant ride around town. It was nice to get away from the big city for a while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



25th August 2011

Memories!
Your pictures bring back so many memories. You guys look so happy and relaxed. I can't wait to read about your adventures in India.

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb