Southeast Asia - At last!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 1st 2011
Published: August 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The journey started in Montreal at 11am on Sunday morning and hasn't finished just yet - we are waiting in the Bangkok Airways complimentary lounge for our last leg to Siem Reap and if all goes according to plan, we will be in Cambodia by 10am Tuesday morning (11pm Monday in Montreal). It wasn't that bad - thanks to great service the whole way and lots of movie watching (6 each) - the time flew by (anyone catch that pun?).

Seth read a book on the way called "First They Killed my Father" by Loung Ung who recounts her experiences surviving the Khmer Rouge years under the Pol Pot regime. We will write more about this dark and sad part of recent history when we visit the Cambodian capital of Phnom Penh.

We landed in Bangkok just after 11pm, went through a painless immigration and baggage claim. Made it to the hotel, which was a short 5 minute drive thanks to the free hotel shuttle service by midnight. Following a clean shower, clean sheets (Gali inspected) the provided amenities and a few short hours of sleep, the combined cost of $20 was well worth it. This hotel (Sinsuvarn Airport Suite - http://www.sinsuvarnairportsuite.com) is a good recommendation for those flying in and out of Bangkok and want to stay close to the airport.

A few remarks of what we have noticed thus far...
- GREAT service
- Adorable children
- Many gringos
- Many designer shops & duty free stores in the Bangkok & Tokyo airports (local buyers)
- Tokyo airport lacked the 'technological pizzaz' we anticipated
- Bangkok airport was much more what we anticipated: Big, Glass, Modern and just for Gali- full of her favorite tree.... PALM TREES


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



2nd August 2011

Sounds like a great beginning!
I hope your trip is wonderful guys! I am also surprised to hear that Tokyo Airport lacked pizzaz (Boo-urns!). But I love to hear about the (cheap) wonderful service. I am so jealous of Europeans who get to jet to SE Asia so much more cheaply and take advantage of the beautiful and cheap vacations. I look forward to hearing more. Stay safe!
2nd August 2011

Glad you guys made it safely!! Can't wait to hear of all your adventures!!
2nd August 2011

Glad you are safe and well - well rested!
Please continue with these updates - I am excited for you to start your adventures and move away from the airports! Happy travels - and you know my sign off line by now....be smart and stay safe - have fun! xoxoxo
8th August 2011

Glad you are safe and well - well rested!
- we're having a great time, staying safe and being smart
8th August 2011

Southeast Asia - At last!
- Dan Dan! We thought about you at Angkor Wat and throughout the trip - coming to join for the last few weeks?
8th August 2011

Sounds like a great beginning!
- Thanks for the message Ivan. Hope you and Chase are having a great summer! We can't wait to see you guys in the fall.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb