My Family is in Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 18th 2006
Published: May 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We spent 3 days in Bangkok. Bangkok was great. We stayed on the river at the Millenium Hilton. We got a boat tour of some of the most famous places in Thailand including the Grand Royal Palace and Wat Pho. You may remember that a Wat is a Buddhist Temple in Thailand. Wat Pho is the location of the biggest Buddha statue in the country. He’s really big! He’s lying on his right side looking very serene. The bottoms of his feet are mother of pearl—very beautiful. The Grand Royal Palace is totally magnificent. There’s gold everywhere and exquisite murals. The king and his family don’t live there but they do use the palace for ceremonies. Three times a year the king himself changes the robes of the Emerald Buddha, a beautiful statue of the Buddha in the Grand palace that’s actually made of jade but they call it emerald because it’s bright green.

Mom says--At Royal Palace I felt like Alice, at her tiniest, walking through a box of glittering Christmas tree ornaments. The guardian statues are huge - maybe 10 feet tall - and fierce looking. Other creatures that fill the spaces between the buildings are bizarre gilded and glittering. There is a mural that surrounds the Buddha that tells a mythology of strange happenings of fantastic creatures. It’s great to have a guide; Yves keeps turning surprise into understanding.

Hello to everyone at Foote and St. Francis from my family. Thanks for writing to me 3rd grade! I loved getting your comment. When it's 11am in Potomac it's 10pm here. We're 1 hours ahead. Right now it's 11:00 am here and midnight in Potomac. I've seen lots of great animals in Thailand. There are lizards here that can be up to 6 feet long. One of my friends saw a cobra crossing the street the other day but I didn't see it. I'll write a blog soon about the animals here. Hope you enjoy the pictures of my family in Bangkok!

My dad wants to be sure he says “Hello” to everyone at journal square. He hopes Marie Davis is reading this blog. This is a shout out to her from Thailand.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



18th May 2006

Do most people speak English in Thailand? Is it difficult to communicate?
18th May 2006

Thanks for the shout out! I loved it! Looks like you're having a wonderful time. Your Dad was so excited about this trip! Tell him everything is under control here, but we miss him! Can't wait to see more pictures. Enjoy the time with your family!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb