Playing with Fire


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
May 4th 2006
Published: May 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

One of the things that I have learned to do here in Thailand is to spin poi. Poi is an ancient Maori martial art. You hold two strings with flammable ends and spin them in various patterns around you. When you get good at them you can light them on fire. I spun poi with fire for the first time the other night and my friend took these cool pictures. It’s actually not as dangerous as it sounds. Because of the material the poi are made out of it’s hard to burn yourself even if you accidently hit yourself with the poi. If you’re standing on the beach next to the ocean it’s hard to light anything on fire by accident. But still, it's good to concentrate and be careful!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



4th May 2006

Hi Miss Yves!
How are you doing? Do you see many different kinds of animals in Thailand? Are you having fun and have you made any new friends there? We miss you a lot! The pictures of you spinning poi are cool. It is 11:00am Thursday here, what time is it there? Are you learning anything else in Thailand? Where in Thailand are you? Anthony Simms, Lizzie Naab, Zac Culham, Noah Faison, Elizabeth Shrout, and Derek McCoy.
6th May 2006

Hello from home
We're getting ready for our trip - packing and planning. Dad and I went out for a Thai dinner the other night and loved the food. Your photos are a great incentive; it's hard to imagine that any beach can look like that. I'm looking forward to some restful days of swimming and sitting - probably not learning how to spin poi...See you soon. Love mom

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb