Beer, bed and Lady Boys in Bangkok!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 14th 2011
Published: March 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok



Flying Kingfisher airways from New Delhi to Bangkok was a bit of a let down as we didn't even get a Kingfisher beer! But only being a 4 hour flight it wasn't too much of a hardship and the wine did help to get a bit of kip. With the time difference we were still pretty knackered arriving at 7am local time. Fortunately our hotel was fairly close and had the most comfortable beds of the trip so far and as an added bonus they only had a twin room available so i could sleep with all the duvet for a change!

Bangkok was a welcome relief for Emilie as she could now walk down the street in small tops to get a tan and not worry about being oggled at by every single man within a mile of her! As every traveller on arrival in Thailand does we headed straight for the Koa san road for a beer (at last!!) and some pad thai. A new addition from the last time I visited Bangkok was having the dead skin eaten from your feet by about a thousand fish (they had a treat with mine) Bangkok was roasting hot but pretty cloudy and on the way back to our hotel from the Kao san on a tuc tuc we got hit by what I can only desribe as a tropical storm maybe even typhoon! The journey only took 10 minutes but in that time we managed to get soaked right through to our pants and pass through 'the eye of the storm', with lighting hitting the buildings around us, all much to the amusement of the driver who seemed to find it funny not being able to see out of his window because of the rain.

After the sights of Bangkok on the back of a tuc tuc and the obligatory gem and tailor shops we headed to Papong night market and for those of you who have been before you will know what the other treats in that part of town involve! For those of you that haven't been, all i'll say is, ping pongs feature heavily!

As we were in Bangkok for a few days (waiting for our Vietnam visas) we booked a trip to the floating market, River Kwai and Tiger Temple. I only wanted to see the bridge over the river Kwai and the floating market so was quite keen to sack off the Tiger Temple but as it was included couldn't. After visiting it I was very glad we hadn't as this was the best part of the day and certainly the most nerve racking. You get to stroke and hold the baby tigers then go round and have your photo taken right next to the huge ones who could quite easily scratch you with their massive claws or sink their teeth into you if they are feeling a bit hungry! Not something for the faint hearted (or Lave) to try but well worth it.

From Bangkok (and after a second session with the fish eating) we caught the overnight sleeper train to Chang Mai....


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



26th March 2011

Fish Feet
Can see who has the regular pedicures!! Brought back memories of my trip to Koh Samui last year..

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb