Re-Visiting Bangkok Blog #2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 22nd 2011
Published: January 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We touched down in Bangkok at midnight and quickly caught a taxi into the historic part of the city. According to Warren, it was rather a hair raising cab ride zooming down the 5 lane speedways! Ironically, I was nodding off to sleep and missed the whole thing!

However, we arrived safe and sound to the famous bustling and noisy Kho San Rd. What a crazy but fun place to experience! The excitement starts around 6 p.m. and goes on until around 5 a.m. which is very popular with the young backpackers who stay up all night and sleep all morning! Food stalls, music, entertainment, restaurants and all kinds of clothing and souvenir shops are jammed packed into 3 or 4 blocks.

We stayed 3 nights at the Rikka Inn. A great location on Kho San Rd., a really nice room with a spacious private balcony and a pool on the roof! The music from the street would put us to sleep each night!

Since we had already had seen most of the tourist sights, temples and palaces the last time we were in Bangkok, ouir mission was to relax and enjoy the ambience of the city. We did a lot of walking, people watching with a Singa or Chang and enjoyed the food stalls. Kho San Rd has the best pad tai we have ever tasted - fresh, spciy, not greasy and full of yummy noodles, shrimp and tasty greens for a mere 40 bhats.($1.50 Cdn) We discovered some new restaurants and enjoyed the roof top pool.

One day we took a tour to the Floating Market about an hour and a half north of Bangkok. They call this place the Venice of Thailand with numerous canals and floating markets on boats and decks. These canals were dug hundreds of years ago as a means of transporting supplies to enable trading. Today the same canals are used for the local people to buy and sell and of course for the tourists. It was a unique experience to order your food from a lady in a boat who would passs it to you in a basket suspended on a pole in which you would send it back with the money. Lunch consisted of spring rolls, sticky rice with mango and coconut milk and noodle soup.

We had another crazy cab ride to the airport for our flight to Koh Samui. We kind of neglected to allow extra time for the morning traffic rush in Bangkok. We ended up paying the driver extra to get us there on time by using the toll freeways zooming along at 140 km/hr!! We arrived with 5 minutes to spare until cut off. Oh well if we hadn't of made it we would just get a later flight to Samui for a $10 change fee. They fly every 30 minutes to the island.

So now we are on the island of Koh Samui for 3 weeks to enjoy the beach, the food and the Thai culture. Take care everyone!!

Mallory and Warren


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



23rd January 2011

Holiday
Thanks for sharing your pictures and stories, maybe someday we will wander to those places in the world. Have a great holiday. Brenda
24th January 2011

Bangkok
Love the pictures! Are you enjoying your retirement? We are. Keep having fun. Linda

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb