Bangkwang


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 20th 2006
Published: April 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi,

Whilst in Bangkok this week, four of us decided to visit prisoners in the notorious Bang Kwang prison. It wasn't a decision that we took lightly. We did some research beforehand and you have to state who you want to visit & which block they are in when you arrive at the prison.

If any other travellers are considering going, please don't be under any illusions. You have to be sensitive to the prisoners, dress respectfully to gain admission and although it is a positive step to take, there are distressing facts that will stay with you a long time after your visit is over. All of the "crimes" at Bang Kwang are drugs related - usually possession.

Some of the prisoners vary rarely receive visitors and it's also an opportunity to ask them what they need and buy it from the prison shop or mail it on to them afterwards. I know that all of the prisoners we saw really appreciated our visit. The details of some of the prisoners are on this site as well as a lot of other useful information:
http://www.phaseloop.com/foreignprisoners/pris-bangkwang.html

I was apprehensive about making the visit and nearly got cold feet when I was on the river boat heading north. If I hadn't had three friends with me, I doubt I'd have gone. Having done it I am very pleased that I did and will have no hesitation in returning.

Conditions at Bang Kwang have improved a lot since books like "Damage Done" were written. What was amazing was the spirit and the positive attitude of the prisoners. I guess it's having hope that keeps them going. Some are waiting for an Amnesty review in June when their sentences will be reviewed. Hopefully some British guys can be sent back to the UK to complete a lighter sentence there.

I met one prisoner who was serving a death sentence and has to wear leg irons all the time that weigh about 4 or 5 kg. He can only take small shuffling steps. He was very cheerful and knows that it is highly unlikely that Thailand will execute a foreigner, this hasn't been done for several years.

The prisoners get one meal a day and are allowed out of their cell between 06:30 and 15:30. They only get to meet others from their building unless they get called for a visitor and then it is also an opportunity for them to briefly see friends from other buildings. The cells are usually crammed with prisoners. They sleep on their sides with legs interlocked. It is good to buy them antiseptic soap because they have to shower in water that is pumped from the river. Believe me - I wouldn't want to dip a toe in there! The cells do have one TV in each with some cable channels.

It must be particulary hard for those who don't get a visit from one year to the next. All prisoners have to provide their own clothing, bedding and tolietries; clearly relying on outsiders to help them out with this. One charity does provide some foreign prisoners with a $45 a month allowance which also helps them buy additional food such as fresh fruit.

If anyone wants to write to the prisoners the details are on that website with guidelines. It is amazing how much it lifts their spirit.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb