Tiger Temple


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 30th 2010
Published: November 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

What a day! We set my phone alarm for 4.30am as we were being picked up at 5.00am for our behind the scenes tour of the Tiger Temple. You know how it is when you know you have to get up at a certain time and you wake up every hour - very annoying but in this case proved to be very helpful. My alarm didn't go off or I didn't hear it! I woke up at 4.45, saw the time, and called out to Mum and Pam to hurry up and get up - we had to be downstairs in 15 minutes. Three women getting ready in 15 minutes must be a miracle. Anyway we made it and began the two hour drive to Kanchanaburi. It was a very quiet trip as we spread out in the mini bus and caught a little bit more sleep.

Our guide this tour was fantastic (although none of us could pronounce her name). Last time we came to the Tiger Temple it was with a couple of hundred other tourists and it was hard to get near the tigers. This time there were nine people who had paid a large sum of money for this experience, Our first item on the agenda was feeding the baby tigers. We each had a bottle of milk and fed either a 3 or 4 month old cub. They were beautiful although you had to remember not to turn your back on them as they took that as a sign to jump on you. It was amazing to play with and cuddle these beautiful animals. We then had meditation time with the monks before having breakfast. This was an experience! We were told to go to the food table and get our breakfast - it was a feeding frenzy as all of the workers had their breakfast at the same time. You had to be quick or else you missed out!

Next it was play time with the 8 and 9 month olds. We were taken into a large enclosure (complete with waterfall and a river for the tigers to play in) and then the tigers were let in there with us (the only thing that stood between the tigers and us were some lovely workers.) The only rules, don't run and don't turn your back on the tigers. It was an amazing experience having 7 or 8 tigers running around us playing. We had toys on long sticks that we could use to play with the tigers. They loved the plastic garbage bags the best. We were in awe as we watched them play and at the same time taking as many photo's as possible. About half an hour later it was bath time - we got to give the tigers a bath (shampoo and rinse!) Even Molly doesn't move around as much as these tigers did. We then got to feed the tigers warm chicken meat - they ate it right out of our hands.

Next was the big guy's turn. We had photo opportunity with the 15 and 16 month old tigers. Everyone got a turn and then it was time to walk them to the Tiger canyon. When they wan't to go they will go and we were instructed that if the tiger took off after a deer or pig, just let them go. Once in the tiger canyon, we were put into this flimsy cage - as tall as a person on one side and about chest height on the other. We were surrounded by the workers who made sure that the tiger's didn't come too close. We watched about 8 tigers playing in the water and on the rocks. They loved to jump of the rocks into the water after the plastic bags. It was amazing to see the workers interacting with the tigers - no fear! All you could hear were cheers from the tourists and clicks of the camera's.

Unfortunately all good things come to an end - we had an amazing experience and one that we will never forget. It isn't the same as seeing these Tigers out in the wild but it is the next best thing as they are well loved, well looked after and have such a great life. They are not drugged like a lot of the 'tourist' tigers are. If you are in the area and you have the time and money - this is something that I highly recommend.

We then went to the River Kwai. We could plan our own itinerary here - we went to the bridge over the River Kwai - this is a very touristy place but the history behind it more than makes up for it. Then it was time for lunch - our guide took us to this little local resaurant (a few doors up from her own house - she was very proud as she said that living right on the river gave her family access to plenty of water . We took one look at the water that was used for bathing, washing and drinking and were thankful of our own water supply back home

Our last stop for the afternoon was the Museum (which the Australian Government funded and built - it is fantastic to see that our money is being well spent on things like this). The museum was fantastic, giving an insight into how bad life was building the railway. The most sobering experience though was the visit to the war cemetary just across the road from the museum. It never ceases to amaze me at the feelings you feel when you look at the plaques representing the fallen Aussies. Reading some of the inscriptions bout a tear to the eye.

On arrival back in Bangkok we had time for one more foot massage (going to miss those) before packing ready for our early flight tomorrow.

Sadly this is the end of our Thailand Adventure. Mum and Pam are jetting back to Australia and I am sitting in Hong Kong airport typing this and waiting for my connecting flight to Beijing. The next part of this adventure will begin in earnest tomorrow as the tour of China begins.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb