One (More) Night in Bangkok!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 3rd 2010
Published: October 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Suzanne here...

Yesterday was another mental day, which seems to be the norm in Bangkok. We didn't wake up until nearly lunchtime, obviously we needed to catch up on our sleep. After a wander around the shopping centre, where I bought a t-shirt (which I fully expect to disintegrate the first time I wash it) we headed to Lumphini Park. We managed to decline the many taxi and tuk-tuk drivers who seem incredulous that anyone would want to walk anywhere. We stopped for lunch at a place called Polo Fried Chicken, where we had fried chicken (of course) with sticky rice and papaya salad. Very nice. We then headed into the park, which was a nice break from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. Naturally it was still a bit mad. The 'muscle beach' stylee area was an odd sight, with ridiculously over-muscled Thai men weight lifting. The outdoor aerobics session was slightly strange, but a good idea. I'd have joined in, but I was wearing the wrong shoes... We also saw our first monitor lizards swimming in the lake. I used to get excited at seeing the tiny lizards of Europe, but these are somewhat more impressive.

In the evening we tried to get into the Sky Bar, but were refused entry for wearing sandals. Bah. Instead we ended up at a great little karaoke bar, which was basically some tarpaulin on sticks and corrugated iron under the expressway. The ground was a bit wet and muddy and there were no free tables but as we'd climbed over the some very precarious steps strapped to the barrier, and it was chucking it down with rain, we were determined to stay for a drink at least. Then some guy moved for us, which made us feel a bit guilty so we had to stay. I'm so glad we did, it was great fun. No other foreigners there, just us and a bunch of Thai people singing along to Thai pop songs. Had a couple of beers and some chicken wings and pork, and I have to say it was the best food we've had so far. Really nice atmosphere too.

Finally made it back to the hostel, via a night market, and had a couple of beers watching the rain before bed. We've decided to spend another night here in Bangkok, we are enjoying it and are really comfortable here at Lub D, it's a great hostel. We'll probably move on tomorrow now.

David here.......

Another brilliant day in Bangkok has been and gone. We got up earlier today and headed out to the Golden Mount using the fast canal boat again. It really is an exhilarating way to travel. The Golden Mount is quite impressive. 300+ steps up to a golden dome and spire, with lots of people praying whilst moving round it in a clockwise direction. The view over the city was good from there and the water falls down the side of the temple down to the bottom were very nice and tranquil. We then headed into China Town to wander round for a bit and then into the Indian area, where we ate lunch at the Royal India , an award winning restaurant in Thailand. The food was very nice, though getting bone in your meat is something we really need to get used to.

We then headed back to the Sky bar to attempt entry once more. This time, we passed the dress code, but it didn't open until 18:00 and we got there at 16:30. Foiled again, however this time we were allowed up to the bar to take in the view. It truly was spectacular up on the 64th floor overlooking Bangkok. Needless to say, we have some great photos that we hope to add once we have a PC that accepts our pictures.

After the Sky bar we went back to Lumphini Park as we wanted to go to the Suan Lum Night Bazaar and the park is right next to it. Whilst in the park we witnessed the keep fit sessions again and all stood up at 18:00 for the Thai National anthem which was surreal but kind of nice as well. We also got a great picture of a HUGE monitor lizard out of the water. They really are an interesting sight. Even the Thai people do not let them get too close and are wary of them. We then made our way to the Night Bazaar and wandered round the many, many stalls. There were hundreds of them selling everything from fabric to t-shirts and back again via Aliens and Predators made out of springs and junk metal (might have to purchase one of those at some point).

We then treated our selves to the Fish Spa, something Suzanne has wanted to do for ages. I joined in too, in for a penny... What an experience. Lots of fish '....shoals nibbling at your toes' (one for the Red Dwarf fans out there). When you first put your feet into the water, it is such a shock as the fish tuck straight in and it is so tickly, but a little bit weird as well. Once you get used to it, it feels lovely and is quite relaxing. Only £3 each for 15 minutes and our feet felt amazing afterwards. Will hopefully be doing that again on this trip. We then went to the food court in the Bazaar and had Chicken spring rolls, Green and Red Thai curries with rice and 4 Chang beers between us. The food was easily the best we have had so far on this trip. The spring rolls in particular were beautiful. The whole meal came to £10, £6 of that was on the 4 beers, so the food itself was very cheap. We have now made it back to the hostel (21:30 here at the moment) and will have one more beer before bed. We are moving on tomorrow to Hua Hin. We were planning on going via train however we have read about some private, air conditioned mini-buses that are quicker and cheaper so will try that to see how we get on.

We might not be able to blog as often once we move on from Bangkok, we'll have to see.


Advertisement



4th October 2010

Have a Good Trip :)
Hello Suzanne and David, I indeed like your blog because it is so useful information for traveller. Just you you know, you have gone to one of the well-known of the best Esan food,Polo Fried Chicken :) and absolutely is one of my favorite restaurant. By the way, we are so happy that you have a pleasant stay with us. Lub d is not only a place to stay, but we will be your friend along your journey in Thailand. Let us know if you need any assistance. Have a Good Trip and hope to see you both again :) Lub d tribe :)

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb