Bangkok to Cambodia, the hard way...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 18th 2010
Published: July 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, my first entry here (its David).

On yesterdays agenda was getting to Siam Reap, Cambodia, from Bangkok. The easy way would have been to fly but that is also the more costly route. There is a rumour that the airway that flys that route keeps the road between Bangkok and Siam Reap nasty and unpassable on purpose, so as to get more passengers on their ridiculously expensive flights. We are not easily scared, so we booked a minibus to the border from our hostel. This cost 400 BAHT (around 8pound).

In the scam that Rachel told you about earlier we had been offered 1200 BAHT to to go all the way to Siam Reap, but we have heard stories of people being dropped off on the Thailand side of the border, and then finding no bus or transport on the other side of immigration to take them the rest of the way, having already paid back in Bangkok.

So we were picked up on time at 6.30 in the morning (thats 12.30am back home), and picked a few other people up around the city before getting on our way. I naturally slept most of the journey to the border (6.30 remember). When we got there and got out, we were offered a taxi across the border which we declined, very aware that various scams were in place. The idea is to get through immigration and get a taxi the rest of the way to Siam Reap, hopefully with some like minded travellers. We walked the rest of the way across the border, through thai departures, visa control (that cost $20), and various passport checks and stamps! along the way we seem to have picked up a uniformed guide who shows us onto a bus that is takes us to a taxi stop. This man is very helpful, but at the end i get a sly, man-to-man "you tip now", but earned it.

We jump in a taxi with our new American friend and drive the rest of the way, stopping twice at building site/shops as Cambodians shout at us "You buy something?". When we get to the city center we then get told of a "free" tuk-tuk journey to our hotel. After we are on board it is made clear that it is free if we book a tour with them the next day. We decline, and the driver promptly drives us to his hotel of choice, even though we asked to go somewhere else!! Quite plainly he is getting commission from them. This man is not getting a tip! We decline and tell him (again) to get us to the right place. Finally after 8 hours travel we arrive to a very nice hotel, complete with a complimentary fruit-shake on arrival. It aint all bad aye?

David

Advertisement



20th July 2010

Sounds great!
Keep these blogs coming guys, it's really cool to be able to read your adventures as you go along. How was the Poipet to Siem Reap road? Also, there's a 6.30 in the MORNING???
26th July 2010

Exactly =)
Hehe, yeah that's travel for you Me and my gf had the same experience last year. Let me guess, you crossed the border at Aranyaprathet (Thai side) and then from Poipet (Cambodian side) to Siem Reap, right? =) My gf and I took a train to Aranyaprathet, and had to stay the night there! Not the most cosy town. The next day we got a very awkward lift to the boarder. Where we had the visa check (free btw ...?? How come you paid money? You had no Cambodian visa?). We also had this nice "guide" guy, who really seemed to help out but then asked for a tip. A big one, lying about the currency. He also wanted us to exchange USD for Riel. Then the taxi to Siem Reap. The taxi driver was calling a lot during the ride so we knew something was up. Even though we had stated very clearly "no stops" and made him repeat it. He stopped anyway, next to a group of tuk-tuk drivers. But then messed up there. As the taxi driver did not want to go further, we -had- to take a tuk-tuk. So I asked if the tuk-tuk ride was in the price and the taxi driver said "yes". I told that to the tuk-tuk driver who didn't seem happy about it, haha So we didn't pay for the tuk-tuk ride into town. But he dropped us off at the wrong place. On purpose I guess, as he was frustrated. As many people as possible should be warned about these scams. As they are not going anywhere. A local told me that the police acts on the scams every few months (half year or so?). But just a few weeks after they do, the scammers are back. You just have to keep aware and live with the knowledge that these people are very poor and will do a lot to get some income. If they don't get it from you, they'll get it from the next guy. Plenty of tourists to scam! Enjoy your travels!
26th July 2010

Same same... not different!
Ha, yes it was exactly the same for us with the tuk tuk and the wrong drop off. We didn't have the visa, thats why we had to pay. But hey... in the grand scheme of things its very little to us, and much more to them! Rachel

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb