Cankles, Cocktails and Chaos in Bangkok!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 2nd 2010
Published: July 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Would you even be surprised that Day 1 consisted of Cocktails, Cocktails and more cocktails!!!



Well we have hit the ground running well and truly… leaving on a 7 pm flight from Adelaide we landed in Melbourne and headed straight for the bar… a few champagnes later we were off… we were surprisingly the 2nd last people in a very small queue which we thought was strange as it was only about 11pm and our flight wasn’t due to take off until almost 1am… but when we got to the counter the lady told us that our flight was already boarding! We did the usual immigration thing and then started heading to our gate… wow we certainly aint in Kansas anymore Dorothy! The airport was huge and we only realised we were completely heading the wrong way when I pointed out our plane from the hallway we were in just as a ‘final boarding call’ came over the loudspeaker! The look on our faces were priceless as we turned and bolted not sure how far we would have to go!

Once safely on the plane, I had one of those moments of terror where I looked around at the other passengers who were settling in as I walked down the aisle.. I turned to Jakki and said ‘check out the people on board this plane, we are so going to crash’ to which she replies “I know, final destination 5!”

Seriously I know Air Asia is a budget airline, but the quality of passengers was frightening… have I become a judgemental bitch in my old age?! LOL… I don’t think so but it was so freaky that BOTH of us were thinking the same thing… it was almost like a walk down Hindley Street at 3am on a Sunday morning!

As I had jumped on board I asked the hot hostie (male version) if I could get some water for my ‘medication’ and a couple of minutes later once seated I was given a cup of hot water! Strange but surprisingly refreshing! A valuim was then popped which went down well after all the champers, and we settled in for takeoff….

Not long after takeoff we both passed out into a semi conscious sleep waking an hour later to eat our pre-ordered meal and having another valium… after that, I don’t remember too much… lol… earphones on , tunes blaring loudly into my ears to block out the aircraft noise and la-la land arrived in the form of a semi conscious state for the majority of the flight… Landing was really smooth and before we knew it we were in Starbucks at the KL airport sipping lattes and eating dodgy looking ‘focaccia’ type ‘things’.

Toilet Experience Number 1 - Jakki



Feeling crappy we decided to do the 'backpacker wash' in the airport toilets... one minding the luggage while the other baby wiped themselves to cleanliness in a dodgy toilet... I finished getting 'clean' and was minding our luggage just outside the toilet door. All of a sudden I heard this massive rush of water and then I felt all this water land on top of me.. confused I looked around and could hear Jakki in the toilet sounding confused... I cant even remember what she was saying but all of sudden she walks out of the toilet DRENCHED in water.. I was like "what the hell did you just do?" and she replies with "I accidentally put the shower on". I almost wet my pants realising when she had gone to flush the toilet she had pushed the 'bum blaster hose' instead, drenching herself, the toilet, the roof and me on the other side of the door! Very funny moment.. especially when I explained that it wasn't a shower!! Jakki's toilet experience number 1!

By the time we got on our 11.30 am flight to Bangkok we were both walking zombies, who both passed out again in another semi-conscious state for the two hour flight. We were both super impressed with Air Asia as an airline (this was Jakki’s first time with them) - great service, good food, cheap drinks, flights running on time… absolutely nothing to complain about…

Vegetarian Food Hunt Number 1 - Jakki



By the time we landed in Bangkok we were both starving to the point of almost being sick so we grabbed our luggage, exchanged some money, organised our SIM cards and then went in search of a quick snack… Jakki, being a vegetarian, thought she would be safe and ordered some hot chips…. Myself, I dove straight in with a hot som tam (Papaya Salad). When Jakki’s chips arrived, they had somehow turned into a club sandwich with a tiny serve of chips on the side… bahahaha!

Fish Sauce Anyone?



I decided to eat my Som Tam in the car on the way in, so we grabbed a taxi and off we went. I soon realised that I had no fork so started eating ‘Northern Thai’ style with my fingers! After about half of my Som tam was demolished my mouth was on fire so I stopped eating…. When we arrived at the guesthouse, I was attempting to get out of the car with the Som Tam, my bottle of water and my backpack and not realising that there were holes in the top of the Som Tam container, I promptly spilt the Som Tam sauce ALL over my pants, only realising as the taxi driver starts making a fuss of me! GREAT, fish sauce over my ONLY pair of long pants…

Once we checked in, Narelle arrived about 5 minutes after us and then my friend Tong rang to say she was on her way to collect us. She had plans to take us to a local authentic restaurant. We quickly freshened up and went downstairs to wait for Tong. She soon arrived with her friend Sally in tow. We ended up in the Dusit area of Bangkok as a little restaurant called Mon (I think). It was one of those local little restaurants without a sign, full of local Thai’s eating… the menu’s were handed out and they were completely in Thai (no English translation) and it was at this point we knew we were in for a special meal!

Tong was brilliant ordering all the food for us, and making sure that Jakki got plenty of vegetarian food. She ordered a vegetarian Som Tam where they replaced the fish sauce with soy sauce and Jakki loved it. There was enough food to feed 10 people and the 5 of us did so well to almost finish the lot… I felt sick from over-eating but the food was just too good to not eat!

We had Red Ant Eggs in a soup (seriously!!), deep fried Duck Beaks (seriously GREAT), 3 different Som Tam dishes (one was a normal version, one a vegetarian version and another was a serious thai style with extra chilli and fermented fish (I wasn’t a fan, but Narelle thought it was great), roast pork, a pork soup, roast pork breast (which was different to the other roast pork), sticky rice and possibly a few other dishes that have escaped my hungover mind today…. It was all washed down with the most amazing fruit shakes from a little stall just outside the restaurant. We had strawberry and lychee which was AMAZING! The whole thing including 2 rounds of drinks cost 1100 baht for the 5 of us which converts to just under $40! After eating, Tong dropped us back to our hotel, we were so grateful for her to have come and spent the time with us, as she has just recently had surgery and shouldn’t have been driving!

Toilet Experience Number 2 - Jakki



Before leaving the restaurant, Jakki decided she needed to go to the toilet. About 1 minute later (even less) she re-appeared and after a 'that was quick' comment from me, she informed us that it was way too dirty and she couldnt do it.. Narelle decided to go have a look and when she got back, she told me it was a REALLY good clean toilet for Thailand... A few stern words at Jakki to toughen up and get back in there, bite the bullet and off she went! I later went to go and check it out and couldnt believe how clean it was... oh dear... Jakki is really going to have some fun on this trip.... we will have her toughened up and squatting in no time! Hehe!

The Cocktails Begin



Once back at the hotel it was time to take the girls to Khao San Rd. Even though Narelle has been to Thailand a few times, she has never made it to KSR surprisingly so we headed off down Soi Rambuttri towards KSR. We stopped halfway along Soi Rambuttri for the first of many cocktails then slowly made our way to KSR. Once at KSR we stopped at a little roadside ‘bar’ called K Cocktails… its basically a cart with alcohol and a whole heap of little stools (the kind kids sit on) on the footpath/roadway. They (and the other similar bars nearby) advertise REALLY cheap REALLY strong alcohol. Since both girls were ‘bucket’ virgins I ordered a bucket for us to share, it had a bottle of vodka, lemonade, fresh lime and a dash of redbull! Yum!

While we were sitting there we were constantly harrassed by the walking vendors… everyone trying their luck at getting our Baht. I bought a hand fan for 100 baht as it was so hot… its steaming hot in fact, really high humidity so there is no looking good or having nice hair… you just feel hot and wet (and not in a good way lol)

After finishing our bucket we wandered up and down KSR before settlling in at my favourite dodgy KSR bar, Gullivers! We started with Long Island Ice Teas (160 baht) which were REALLY strong… I then decided to play my favourite 'get free drinks' game with Narelle, telling her if she could guess what cocktail I was going to order I would shout... I was even generous enough to give her 3 guess (from a list of about 50).. First guess.. Pink Pussy... and it got worse from there.... She clearly thinks I have a dirty mind! In the end it was just the boring old Mai Tai so Reety ended up with the free drink instead - SCORE! Narelle and Jakki didnt want to play that game anymore! A few too many later we decided to go in search of food , coming out of Gullivers we realised it had been raining.. we headed over to Soi Rambuttri to get some noodles from my favourite vendor.

Just as we were about to approach him, the skies opened up and it belted down. Thunder, lightening and a huge tropical downpour… we sheltered under a roof near a small alleyway and while waiting for the rain to stop (by now the street is already flooding lol) we got chatting to a couple of Americans, Ken from Cincinnatti and Ninah from Kansas City. They were both solo travellers who had met up a few days ago and were hanging out…

We exchanged email addresses (as you do!) and once the rain stopped we parted ways. The noodles were awesome. They had a vegetarian version for Jakki and both Narelle and I had the traditional Pad Thai with chicken and egg… sooooo good! We then decided to head back to KSR for a final drink… When we were almost at Gullivers we ran into Ken and Ninah who said they were keen for more drinks.. so we all went into Gullivers for … yep you guessed it… another Mai Tai! The music was so loud that it was hard to have a conversation so we ended up heading to the roadside bars again.

We ended up at another little bar which was simply advertised as “very strong cocktails, we do not check id card” .. even the staff all were wearing tshirts that simply said “we do not check id” LOL.. great is you are 17 and running amuck (Jealous Trent and Morgy??)

Delighted to find yet another 2 bucket virgins in Ken and Ninah, we ordered 2 buckets of vodka/redbull/lemonade and settled in… it was belting down rain for most of it, but the lovely little temporary bar, which wont exist come sunrise had the forethought to put up a makeshift tarp… I was a little worried how all the electrical cords would cope with the rain but we all survived so it must have been okay!

We were joined by a couple of guys, one from India and one from Pakistan and one of them bought us all roses from the little girl that comes around selling the roses (shouldn’t she be in bed at 1am?!). I don’t know their names as I never actually got to speak to either of them. At one point this fat little girl (well I am not sure how old she was, she was possibly a midget) came over and was trying to sell Ken lollies. She was pouting and carrying on so I decided to film her.. the minute my camera came out she gave me a spray and hid behind Ken’s back. She wouldn’t come out and she thought my camera was just pointing at her to take a photo (when really it was filming the whole time)… She kept ducking behind him and glaring at me every opportunity she got. I got bored after a bit so put the camera down.. and then she let me have it… she was pulling her hand across her throat at me suggesting she wanted to slit my throat (I think!) and was really mad at me! Hahaha! It’s the first time I have ever had a Thai person mad with me.. She walked off eventually STILL giving me a death stare.. I could just see the headlines now “Farang killed by midget street seller” …

Cankles?!?!



We finally decided to call it a night around 2am (which was really about 5.30am our time) and headed home in the drizzling rain.. the streets were full of puddle and the drains really smelly. Feeling dirty when we got home we had showers and it was then I discovered that I have finally hit the old age point of developing CANKLES! I was devastated... I actually had ROLLS around my ankles! WTF!!! All I could think was that I had suddenly developed cankles and that they would haunt me for the rest of the trip.... I so should of taken a photo but I was horrified.... I am pleased to announce that they have since disappeared overnight (Phew!).. and thus concludes Day 1 of our trip! Action packed and exhausting!

Love to you all
Reet, Jak & Naz
xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



3rd July 2010

how clean is that toilet?!!
Glad your cankles have gone!! That toilet is well clean and decent looking...hahaha, we sense a lot more Jakki toilet experience stories to come especially with some of the toilets that are out there!! Cor, the food looked fab and had us drooling on the keyboard. Keep having fun and try not to overdo the buckets and cocktails! x
3rd July 2010

Toilet problems
I should have guessed Jackie would have trouble with the toilets She takes a while to learn LOL>!!!! I cannot stop laughing thinking about it. xxxx
3rd July 2010

Phew!
Wow, and that is just day one!!! Great blog. Keep up the good work :)
3rd July 2010

JEALOUS!!!
I love this part..."this fat little girl (well...she was possibly a midget)" LOL! I miss you and am SO jealous of you girls! Have a blast and LOTS of cocktails for me! XOXOX from Iraq!
4th July 2010

yay!!
Sounds like your having a ball! Can't wait to read more..... enjoy those cocktails! :-)
5th July 2010

How funny!
Girls, you do make me laugh. I could just picture the bidet" shower" lol. Looking at the pic of that toilet yes it is very clean. Why is it though by 2 or 3 am you never really care where you squat lol.
5th July 2010

Hi Reets, seems likes nothing has changed. Party hard and having a good time. Dont worry to much about the ankles. I was thinking of reminding you to b careful but its probally the locals that need to be worried about you. LOL
7th July 2010

Boy You Just Made The Plane
Reet You Party animal, just making the plane. So how was Tong. Did you say hi for me. Ed xx

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb