YUMMO! in Chinatown


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 16th 2004
Published: October 16th 2004
Edit Blog Post

This month in Thailand, the Vegetarian Festival took place. It goes for nine days, which was Bliss. The food was soooo good. By the end of the Festival, I was having curries or noodles for breakfast and two dinners, because I realised that otherwise I wouldn’t be able to try everything before we returned to the Fascist Carnivorous State. I wish we had Vegie Festival more than once a year. Apparently the main place for the Festival is Phuket, where the monks - Vegie Festival is actually during Buddhist Lent, so the vegetarian diet is considered cleansing and purifying - stick knives and bicycle spokes through their cheeks. Ow. Not quite sure what the purpose of that it - maybe the transcendence of intense pain is cleansing and purifying too.
The Vegetarian Festival is particularly associated with Chinese Buddhists, so the main part of town for some vegie action is Chinatown. These photos were all taken by my father during his holiday here.
Chinatown is generally a wonderful, chaotic, mad place, but it was even more so during the festival.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Above the shopsAbove the shops
Above the shops

Beautiful Bangers!
Typical Chinese knick-knack storeTypical Chinese knick-knack store
Typical Chinese knick-knack store

The cats actually wave!
Chinese Buddhist TempleChinese Buddhist Temple
Chinese Buddhist Temple

The Festival takes place during Buddhist Lent, one of the holiest times of year.
Dinner (not mine of course)Dinner (not mine of course)
Dinner (not mine of course)

These turtles were kept at the Chinese temple.
PussenkatsPussenkats
Pussenkats

(not dinner)
Vegie stall on Soi 1, near my houseVegie stall on Soi 1, near my house
Vegie stall on Soi 1, near my house

The yellow signs mean that the food is "jeh" (vegetarian)
yummmm!yummmm!
yummmm!

look at all that vegie food!


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb