TIT!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 17th 2010
Published: March 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Another day in Thailand!
We were given the day off today as 10 of the trainees were going to organise a camp at one of the nearby schools. Which means on Saturday the rest of us will be going to a different school to organise a camp there. It's the main school holidays at the moment so many of the schools these extra activities to keep the children busy.
It started off well, once I managed to get out of bed as I'd had my first experience of Thai beer last night. Tracey and I decided to go to Khaosan Road and try do some shoe shopping as the largest size you can find in most shops is a 6! Well now, that aint gonna help us out much! We caught a taxi, as we still haven't figured out the whole bus system, and decided to start the hunt for shoes. Breakfast consisted of fresh paw paw and watermelon bought off the side of the road.
The streets and sidewalks are dirty and the place smells like vomit but we're able to buy freshly prepared fruit from nearly every second vendor! I bought a bag of strawberries last night, wshed them throuroughly, and enjoyed them tremendously!

We walked around quite a bit and you'll see from the photo's that the weather was very overcast. After walking past a few bars/restaurants we realised it was St. Patrick's day and thought that a beer would go down marvelously in this heat! Not even 5 minutes after sitting down, the heavens opened and the rain came down. It was an awesome downpour. Something that I haven't experienced after the droughts in PE! We drank LEO, a beer with a picture of a leopard on the label... interesting! The amounts of tourists in this area is incredible and it made us very grateful to be located in a very Thai part of Bangkok. We hardly ever see Westerners (other than ourselves of course!) and therefore we find English is very limited here! But, we've managed so far and our Thai is improving at a rapid rate! Korn, the owner of our lovely little coffee shop we frequent, is constantly teaching us and correcting our pronounciation, and this had helped us out a lot as a simple greeting in Thai can provide a discounted price as well as a BIG smile from any Thai person.

Our shopping trip was not very successful, we walked away having bought a handbag and shirt, NO SHOES! O, well, we'll just have to make do with what we have for now.

Now, I'm off to go and compete our assigned homework. Sitting in our coffeeshop, we're working here, drinking iced drinks and eating glorious fruit that is served to us every half hour or so. These people are extremely humble and I therefore will probably be mentioning them a few more times during the next month!

Ciao Ciao Bye!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Famous food stallsFamous food stalls
Famous food stalls

They may not look like much but if you give them a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised... most of the time!
Tracey and ITracey and I
Tracey and I

Happy St Patricks Day!
1414
14

The guy on the left is Korn - legend!


Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb