Bloody Taxi Drivers


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 11th 2006
Published: March 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

...and so to bed...and so to bed...and so to bed

Back to the Madras Hostel in Bangkok; this is the dorm we stayed in and met some lovely people - just a shame they all fart so much!
Got up early to go back to Bangkok - Sam hung off the back of the taxi on the way to the ferry port (one bit of steel that hopefully connects land to boat!) - journey ok but a 2 hour wait at the other end for the Bangkok Bus so we kept busy and played four games of Shit (cards!!).

All went fine til we got to Hulawangowotnot station in Bangkok and not one taxi driver would put their meter on for the journey we needed back to the hostel. Eventually we were approached by a driver that had quoted us like 10 times the normal rate (no kidding....) for a price over twice the original rate. It seemed our best option so in we got... then we realised he was taking the keys from another driver, so he wasn't even using his own cab.

He demanded (not asked for) the money up front, refused to put his meter on and changed the card with his ID on round so we couldnt see it.

We got to a traffic light bit and he started shouting very angrily about traffic jams, (no bloody jam at all, about 6 cars!!) and then started on at Sam cos he couldnt speak thai at all - he said "I Speak english, i tell you of jam, you don't speak thai why don't you speak thai" but it was so angry... this went on a while and both of us felt pretty scared by this time...

Eventually got to the madras hostel (great place) - we got out i took his hand and shook it firmly, smiling as nicely as I could and said "May you be blessed with constipated piles" he was smiling too saying "I don't speak too much English" - hope my blessing for him comes true tonight and every other night he treats visitors to his country in this way.

Rant over... that was worthy of signing it off "Sian" eh?

Just had a Thai Coffee - yummy! burp

Pan - I have behaved all week!!!

Lots of love all

Catherine, heading home in the morning, from Madras Hostel (if you come to bangkok you gotta check this place out!)

xxxxxx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb