Chatuchak Market


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 6th 2005
Published: March 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had now been joined by Rachel and Marie so we had all booked to go to the floating market on Monday morning. However, our tour booker was concentrating her efforts on eating crackers and booked us on it a day early (and had closed when we realised this error). So I was in the lobby at 7am to attempt to explain this to our guide. After a Thai/English discussion that got us nowhere, he phoned his boss and I had to speak to him via mobile. The result of the conversation was ambiguous, but the indication was that we wouldn't be going anywhere on Monday (since our tour agent was handily closed all of Sunday).
This mini-saga over we headed for the famous Chatuchak weekend market as planned. We took the cheap as chips canal boat followed by the delightful air-con skytrain. The market was a huge, bustling place with tiny alleys between stalls selling all sorts- silk, lacquerware, clothes (bought a great angel wing tshirt from its creator), pet ground squirrels, fish in plastic bags, fried insects and tupperware. We found a great little cafe in the midst of it all that produced excellent shakes and a good people-watching location (how some of the farangs got their purchases home I cannot imagine).
Following this we failed dismally to locate the Thai boxing match Mr. June in Nice Travel had told us about, so headed home via skytrain and river boat. Marie had her haircut by the fabulous Joy, whilst Luke and I searched for the elusive tiny Golden Buddha and white lucky cat (and failed).

Drink of the day: M-180


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb